From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How could I control PFI on PXIe 6556 card?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Ni,

1. I have a HWS vector include 50 output signals and 2 PXIe 6556 cards. How could I build a Labview program to configure the ports of PXIe cards with this vector?

2. Could I configure PXI on PXIe 6556 card as IO port?How could I do it?

Thanks and Best regards,

AnDong

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,587 Views)

Hi An_Dong,

Have you taken a look through the LabVIEW shipping examples for HSDIO?  There is an example of how to generate based on waveforms from an HWS file in the example finder.  Are you using an HWS file?  To find this example, go to help -> Find Examples.  From there, follow this path:

Hardware Input and Output -> Modular Instruments -> NI-HSDIO -> Dynamic Generation -> Non-Scripted -> Read HWS File and Generate.vi

Can you explain your 2nd question a little more?  What do you mean by configuring PXI on PXIe?

Thanks,

David B

National Instruments

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,558 Views)

Hello AnDong,

You cannot configure the PFI lines for dynamic digital data.  The PFI lines can be used to import/export specific dynamic signals like clocks, triggers, and events, or it can be used as a static digital interface.  If you want to generate static data, you can only do this through the VI called "niHSDIO Write Static PFI (U32).vi".  This will allow you to software time the changing of the digital data.

I hope this helps,

Jesse O. | National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,553 Views)

Hi Jesse O.,

It is very helpful for me to build the labview program. Thanks for your help.

AnDong

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,546 Views)

Hi David,

I can build a Labview program to read HWS file.

I refered  Multi-Device Dynamic Generation (Hardware Input and Output -> Modular Instruments -> NI-HSDIO -> Synchronization). I see that It can control multi PXI card but signals on each card are the same.

Because my HWS file have 48 signals, I need 2 PXIe 6556 cards with 48 DIO ports. Mean of my question is that do I have to split HWS file to build a Labview program to control the cards with 2 HWS file?

Thanks for your helps

AnDong

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,543 Views)
Solution
Accepted by An_Dong

Hi An_Dong,

I would recommend looking at this example posted to our community online:

HSDIO Multi-Device Dynamic Generation (TClk) One HWS File.vi

Thanks,

David B

National Instruments

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,507 Views)

Jessie_O,

Do you know if the PFI lines have the same capability with the 6555 card as they do with the 6556?  Also, using the Write Static PFI... vi, I get and error "Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system." no matter how I configure the PFI.  I have also tried a few different PFI lines to test this with.  I know the PFI0 line on the 6555 card doesn't work no matter what, but on my 6556, it works fine.  Just wondering if there is a compatibility difference?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,382 Views)

The PXIe-6555 is capable of using the write static PFI function just like the PXIe-6556.  This function only works on PFI0-3, and PFI24-31.  It does not work on PFI4 and 5, as they are special PFI lines used for clocking.

The other PFIs should work.  When you are using the assign static PFI channels function what are you using for the channel names?  If you wanted to use PFI 0, 3, 24, 28 you would need to enter the channels as:   PFI0, PFI3, PFI24, PFI28.  If you just enter 0, 3, 24, 28 it will not work. 

Regards

Jesse O. | National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,373 Views)