LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can the NI PCMCIA-CAN interface be used with the newly released laptop computers?

The newly released laptop computers (with enhanced configurations) do not have PCMCIA slot. How is it possible to use them with the PCMCIA-CAN interface?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,770 Views)

Did you used a search engine to look for a USB<->PCMCIA interface device?

However, even if there exists one (which i doubt) i definitely do NOT recommend you to use such a thing. It is by far easier and in long term most likely cheaper to update hardware and software to use a fully supported hardware which also provides some warranty.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 2 of 4
(2,768 Views)

@mjesfand wrote:

The newly released laptop computers (with enhanced configurations) do not have PCMCIA slot. How is it possible to use them with the PCMCIA-CAN interface?

You can't.

I have two laptops with the newer ExpressCard slots and I bought an ExpressCard to PCMCIA/PC Card converter, and it would not work on any of the PC Cards I had.

You shouldn't have to re-write much if any code if you upgrade to a USB-CAN interface.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,742 Views)

@Intens wrote:

@mjesfand wrote:

You can't.

I have two laptops with the newer ExpressCard slots and I bought an ExpressCard to PCMCIA/PC Card converter, and it would not work on any of the PC Cards I had.

You shouldn't have to re-write much if any code if you upgrade to a USB-CAN interface.

Fully second that. The PCMCIA standard was based largely on the old ISA architecture while the ExpressCard standard is largely based on the PCI standard. They never worked very well together and any bus bridge device was usually only working well for software drivers that were actually specifically written to work with those bridges. The dream to make a fully transparent bridge between those standards never really materialized anywhere. Even modern PCI to PCI bridges suffer similar trouble that small little bugs in the bridge hardware or the software drivers make it malfunction.

In addition most computers nowadays do not even have ExpressCard slots anymore so even if the PCMCIA to ExpressCard converter would work, which it generally doesn't for anything but the most trivial devices, it would be a temporary bandaid again.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,714 Views)