From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i make 2 functions happen sequentially in a loop

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, i have a problem with this VI. I want to make the 2 subVIs happen one after another in the while loop: when the first one has finished the second one starts, and when it ends the loop starts again. I tried to come up with a solution with a case structure, making the second subVI as a condition for the result of the first one, but it doesnt really work: the second subVI only runs for a couple of seconds when the condition is respected, but since the first subVI runs from start , it stops running after a seconds. What could i do to make the two VIs run sequentially as i said?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,084 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author domcorrado

If your VIs have error cluster terminals wire them to set the order you want. If not, you can use a Flat Sequence Structure.

Lucian
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,072 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author domcorrado

Hi,

@LucianM wrote:

If not, you can use a Flat Sequence Structure.

In that case you should rather make those subVIs to use errorIO to enable simple DATAFLOW…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,064 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi,

@LucianM wrote:

If not, you can use a Flat Sequence Structure.

In that case you should rather make those subVIs to use errorIO to enable simple DATAFLOW…

Yes, if you can edit those subVIs.

Lucian
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,057 Views)

I managed to do it with a flat sequence, gonna also try with the error i/o dataflow and see what fits my case more.

My only problem now is that i have all of this in a while loop to make it run repeatedly, but it just doesnt happen (only runs one time), any idea why?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,041 Views)

Hi

I think the problem is, that the second loop has a false constant wired to its stop condition. It runs endlessly.

If you make it a true constant it should work.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,024 Views)

problem is, if i make it a true constant, the first subVI will start running again instantly, during the time the second subVI still runs, which i dont want to

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,012 Views)

No, this is not true! VIs are executed one after the other. Use Highlight Execution to see better what's happening:

LucianM_0-1647521965727.png

Lucian
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,005 Views)

@domcorrado wrote:

I managed to do it with a flat sequence, gonna also try with the error i/o dataflow and see what fits my case more.

My only problem now is that i have all of this in a while loop to make it run repeatedly, but it just doesnt happen (only runs one time), any idea why?

Having now seen your code I would suggest that you learn about state machines. With a state machine architecture you can accomplish this task with a single loop - no need for getting stuck inside of inner loops or finding ways to program around that. I've attached what that could look like with your example.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(995 Views)