From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i find equivalent sound power level?

Hi,

I'm trying to perform some audio measurements and i was curious as to what might already be available in labview to help me perform these measurements. As it stands for testing my application i have a VI that generates a single tone using my sound card. for testing i will just have that running in the background. Now for measuring I would like to get the peak value at the exact frequency of that tone, the equivalent sound power level, and then also i have been tasked with finding the real power of a small window around that frequency (or at least that is what i think it is). Right now the test is down manually using TRTA (found at trueaudio.com).

I can easily get the peak value as i just use the FFT Power Spectrum VI under signal processing waveform measurements. What i would like to get now is the equivalent level which i think is the area under the spectrum from 10 Hz to 20 kHz (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Then there is the issue of this third measurement that TRTA has that is quite a bit above anything on the spectrum analyzer built into that. I have a feeling its got to do with the octave functionality in that specific program.  Is there anything in labview that already deals with octaves?

Anyways, I was hoping someone might be able to point me to some more useful VIs besides just the waveform measurement ones that could help me achieve this. As for now i'm reading up on audio to make sure i understand what it is that i am measuring. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks Brent

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,573 Views)

Hello Brent,

It sounds like you would find the Sound and Vibration Toolkit useful, it contains an array of Octave VI's. To see if you already have it installer, look in Add Ons in your Functions palette. If you are interested in getting it, the link for more information is below:

http://www.ni.com/soundandvibration/software

Regards,

Anna K.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,533 Views)
I do not already have it.  Is there a possibility of demoing that toolkit?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,511 Views)

The http://www.ni.com/soundandvibration/software is quite expensive, For one single tone this VI may also help.

Power & Frequency Estimate VI

Owning Palette: Spectral Analysis VI

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,505 Views)