cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I simulate the NI-9265 virtualy

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

How can I simulate or see the currnet output from my current generation 0-20 ma VI virtually. i.e. from measurement explorer or signal express.

Thanks

Prashant

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,912 Views)

If I understand your question correctly, open Measurement and Automation Explorer, right-click on Devices and Interfaces, select "Create New".  In the next dialog box select "Simulated NI-DAQmx Device or Modular Instrument".  and then select the NI-9265 from the list of devices.  You now have this device that you can access from LabVIEW as if the hardware is present.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,907 Views)

Yes you understood correctly, But can I simulate or see output from VI without hardware?

Thanks

Prashant

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,905 Views)

Yes you can.  You can select the simulated device and read and write to it with LabVIEW VI's the same way you would with actual hardware.  After you have added the device, it will be available to select when you wire to the DAQmx VI's.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,897 Views)

Ok I tried, I am using Geb 0-20ma current.VI from find examples and in Automation explorer I have simulated NI-USB 9625 and created task under generate output-> current and selcted channel in VI front panel. Two things here:

1. Their is no change in the automation explorer screen when i am changing current values in VI.

2. My automation explorer is showing one screen which says: (You are currently using a USB DAQ device on Windows XP.  Please visit ni.com/info and enter "WindowsXPUSBHotfix") and Knowlege base article 5F8IA721......

Please suggest

Prashant

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,892 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author UPRR

There is no way to update outputs in LabVIEW code and monitor those changes from Automation Explorer.  This is no different than using actual hardware.  The main purpose for adding the virtual hardware is so you can test your code without getting errors.  If you need to monitor the values that you output, there are debugging tools built into LabVIEW - the quickest would be to just add a probe where you write a value to the device.  If the DAQmx Write VI does not report any errors, you can assume the real hardware will correctly output the value you requested.

As for the screen that you are seeing in Automation Explorer, that is normal for USB devices.  All of the buttons at the top of the screen can still be used (Self-Test, Test Panels, Reset Device, etc.) and you can still get to the other pages for that device with the different tabs on the bottom of the page.  Since it is just a simulated output device, you probably won't find much of anything useful in Automation Explorer.  The real advantage of a simulated device is just for running and debugging LabVIEW code.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,888 Views)