From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I return to the original front panel view?

Solved!
Go to solution

@RavensFan wrote:

Something confuses me about your posts.  Your original message was about reszing the window back to its original compact size.  But the solutions you are claiming are only related to the origin of the window.

His original post says that when he uses the scrollbar, he can never get it back to where it started.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,581 Views)

Thanks.  I can see what you are saying now.

The original post talked so much about the SIZE of the window and making things compact, I thought the problem he was having was with changing the size of the window to get to the offscreen controls.

(If I have a small window for compactness, I'm going to resize it larger to more easily access stuff offscreen rather than trying to keep the window small and scroll around.)

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,577 Views)

That is the good thing about the Window Runtime Position setting.  I attached a VI in that post that demonstrates how the window resizes to a larger screen space for design and then shrinks down to the compact size and origin point for runtime.  

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,572 Views)

Is that a relatively new feature in LabVIEW?  I don't remember the dialog being as busy as that in the past.  But looking back to LV 2012, I see it was in there by then.

Altenbach's idea I linked to has a very large number of votes, but has not been implemented or marked for development.  Yet the VI properties listing runtime position seems to satisfy some of Altenbach's idea.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,559 Views)

I have 2011 & 2012 installed and it's in both versions.

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,556 Views)

Sorry, the original question could have been written more clearly. I must create a application with a very small window size. In order to get all of the necessary indicators and controls  into this small window size I must use every bit of space I am given. This means that the indicators and buttons will be placed along the border of the window. One click in any direction and some of a button or indicator will be outside the visable area. This makes the view in the deployed product look sloppy, espeically if a control or indicator is partially hidden outside of the viewable area. 

Now, when I am writing the program and I have to add additional varables, error rings, arrays, etc. for computation, I must resize the window, or scroll to see these additional objects that will be hidden in the final release. Every time I check one of these additional items by scrolling or re-sizing the window I can never get the view back to fit the original view intended for the deplyment. As you can see in the image for the original post, some grey space is on the left and the array on the right is slighly off screen. When I placed these items they were perfectly centered and just tocuhing the border. No space and not cut off. This may be a bit nit picky but I feel that if you are going to do something, it should be as good as you can get it. Having controlls hang slighly off screen is just sloppy.

Does that clear it up a bit? I can send example images of before and after if that helps to better understand. In any case, I have found the solution with eveyones help.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,549 Views)

Thanks.  I appreciate you checking back in and clarifying.  I thought I was helping to solve one particular problem, but it was actually something slightly different.  I'm glad you got it working for you now.  Good luck with your application.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,544 Views)

@BrandynMH wrote:

Sorry, the original question could have been written more clearly. I must create a application with a very small window size. In order to get all of the necessary indicators and controls  into this small window size I must use every bit of space I am given.  

I'd set the Window minimum size, or place a fixed size decoration with the limits, that way you can easily see or reset the windows size.

One tip about small windows: Make sure you _really_ need to present the information, if it's the least "good to know" as opposed to "must know all the time" it should not be on the main panel, but another tab/pop out/advanced options, something like that.

Keeping an interface clean can be tough. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,496 Views)