From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I resize an array of strings?

I'm having a problem of not being able to use the CIN functions and therefore can't use the convenient resizing methods. I have tried to use NumericArrayResize to resize an array of strings, but it's not working correctly. Here's what I've tried most recently. I have tried many variations, so if you want to modify what I have posted, or just provide new code, please feel free.

typedef struct {
int32 dimSize;
LStrHandle elt[1];
} LStrHandleArray;

typedef LStrHandleArray **LStrHandleArrayHandle;

void someMethod(LStrHandleArrayHandle arrayOut) {
// attempting to write the string "asdf" in the first element in the array. (1D array)

int newSize = 1;

MgErr e = NumericArrayResize(uL, 1L, (UHandle*)&arr
ayOut, newSize);

(*arrayOut)->dimSize = newSize;
LStrHandle hdl = *(*arrayOut)->elt;

long str_size = strlen("asdf");

MgErr err = NumericArrayResize(uB, 1L,(UHandle *)&hdl, str_size);

LStrLen(*hdl) = str_size;

MoveBlock("asdf", LStrBuf(*hdl), str_size);
}

The code above doesn't result in crashing labview at any time. The string "asdf" is not copied though. And, after being able to copy one string I would like to extend this to many elements in a 1D array of strings.

Thanks!
Naveen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,354 Views)
LabVIEW stores string arrays as an array of handles to those strings. To resize an array of strings you need to declare a new string in LabVIEW's data space, resize the handle array, and add a handle to your new string. Here is an example program which does this.

-Aaron Marks
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,354 Views)