LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I reduce the size of my stand-alone installer?

I have several stand-alone applications in the field and periodically need to update the code. The complete installer is 138 MB. If I remove the run-time engine, it reduces to 78 MB. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the size? These are minor updates and I am not changing much. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave F

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,537 Views)

The installer folder itself should be smaller than the size of the application folder since the files are compressed. Does this mean your built application is larger than 78 MB? If so, the question really becomes how do you make your application smaller? 

The issue with the size of the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine has been discussed in this forum countless times. There are actually 2 Run-Time Engines that can be installed. One is the absolute minimalist version. Whether or not it will work with your application is anybody's guess. The other is the full install.

What version of LabVIEW are you running?

Message 2 of 4
(2,532 Views)

Thank you for your response. The bin folder is 67.5 MB. I don't know if I need it all or what I might be able to remove. I have always provided installation CDs and size hasn't been an issue. Now I am trying to reduce the size to upgrade by sending files over the internet. 

My targets already have the run-time engine. For upgrades, I don't have to include any run-time engine. The installations are quick one step processes.

I am running LV 8.6. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,516 Views)
Must be a big app. The one big app that I have is almost 2500 VIs and sits at about 50MB compiled as an exe. The installer is about 35 MB.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,500 Views)