From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I read a FISO fibre optic thermometer through the serial port using Labview?

I'm using a Fiber Optic thermometer to measure temperature. It sends the data through the RS232 port of your computer and I have created a few programs in Labview to try and read it but with no luck! If any one could shed some light on this, I would appreciate it. The instrument is made by FISO.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,444 Views)
Hello Apollo. Thank you for contacting National Instruments. More than likely, you are not able to communicate with your instrument because you have the incorrect termination character. There is a great example that comes with LabVIEW called Advanced Serial Write and Read.vi that will make it easy to test your thermometer. This can be found in the menu under Help>> Find Examples. Search for serial and you will find it. Look in the manual of the thermometer for the required termination character. Some common termination characters are as follows:

0xA = '\n' = LF
0xD = '\r' = CR

Write a query string to your instrument to see if it will return the ID. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Hope this helps! Have a great day!

Marni S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,427 Views)