cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I pass an array to another vi without using subVI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

Is there a way to pass a 1D array from a VI to another without using subVI?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,454 Views)

Yes.

Queues, Notifiers, Global Variables, TCP, UDP, ...

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,441 Views)

@Mmehrabin wrote:

Hello all,

This question, without code to clue us, makes no sense!  The simple answer is "Sure, just use a wire", but then where do you get "a VI" and "another VI" without having (sub)-VIs?  Maybe you mean something else by "sub-VI".  Maybe you mean "without using a wire".

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,435 Views)

I'm with Bob.  What?

My initial guess would VI Server?  Cuz in this scenario, you have potentially two "Main VIs" and no SubVI.  Still though, question needs to be worded better.  And code usually helps.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,417 Views)

@Mmehrabin wrote:

Hello all,

Bob has a good point, your question is not a valid question, and I am guessing because you lack the knowledge to know what to ask.

Start here Introduction to LabVIEW and follow through the "12 step program" (LOL) first.

There are plenty of tutorialls and videos on teh NI site to help you learn teh basics

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,412 Views)

Thank you for your fast answers. Let me explain more about the code. I have an FPGA code that sends some values by FIFO DMA. I receive them in a host VI and put them in an array. In this VI there is a while loop to receive all values from FPGA so I can not put it into another vi as a subVI. So I want to send the received array to the third host VI by value passing.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,394 Views)
Adding to all previous comments, it's difficult to give you a solution.
- I am guessing you meant subvi means a vi which will reside in your vi. And to other vi meant both are running parallel?
- There are plenty of data communication methods in LabVIEW which includes all above answers.
-You can check and choose the data communication methods best suited for your application : http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361L-01/lvconcepts/data_comm/
Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,393 Views)

@Mmehrabin wrote:

Thank you for your fast answers. Let me explain more about the code. I have an FPGA code that sends some values by FIFO DMA. I receive them in a host VI and put them in an array. In this VI there is a while loop to receive all values from FPGA so I can not put it into another vi as a subVI. So I want to send the received array to the third host VI by value passing.

This sounds like a prime example for a Producer/Consumer.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 8 of 11
(3,377 Views)

I need to store some data from FPGA. Can I write them in a file on FPGA or I should transfer them to the Host VI then store them in a file?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,345 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Mmehrabin

@Mmehrabin wrote:

I need to store some data from FPGA. Can I write them in a file on FPGA or I should transfer them to the Host VI then store them in a file?

The FPGA has no access to a disk.  You have to pass the data to the host (preferably with a DMA FIFO) and then the host can log the data to a file.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,342 Views)