LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I organise the flow of multiple windows in LabVIEW?

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have a question.

In other programming languages (e.g. Visual Basic, Delphi, Python ...) there is such a possibility, or if you can call it that, this kind of programming:

1. create a window.

Place one or more buttons with different functions on/in the window. 3.

3. create the same second window, the third window and so on.

4. IMPORTANT: These windows are completely independent of each other. For a window, e.g. number 2, it does not matter which buttons and functions are in window number 5 (or another window).

You can work with only one window by using the commands "open window" and "close window". 6.

6. IMPORTANT!!! In this case, if necessary, only the process of an open window "open window" will work in the working memory and all other windows "close window" will not load the working memory.

I have not found such a function in LabVIEW. More precisely, the principle itself can be implemented by working with tabs "tabs" (see figure below). But the requirement is to have a different design. It should not look like tabs in a window, but like independent windows.

Or is there perhaps a way to switch the "Tabs" tabs in the image so that they do not look like one window with many "Tabs" tabs, but like several separate windows (the number of separate windows should correspond to the number of tabs)? Is there any way to split the tabs into separate windows?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(611 Views)

I think we have a communications problem

You show a picture of tabs, but you want "windows". Not sure what you mean by that. Are you talking about several subVIs? Panes?

Can you show us a picture of what you want instead of what you have? Are there well-known public program you are trying to emulate?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(594 Views)

That's really not a problem for LabVIEW.  Once you've been using and writing solid stand-alone code that does useful things, and have learned about how to encapsulate useful functionality in sub-VIs (say, a year's experience in writing real code that Does Something Significant), you'll learn how to write (sub)-VIs that can run "detached", visible or invisible by program design, working co-operatively or synergistically, as you, the designer, dictate.

But it really helps to have a well-designed plan in mind.  Before worrying about "how" (or, "if") such-and-such can be done with LabVIEW, it is much more important to clearly understand (and be able to describe) precisely what you want to do with LabVIEW.  A nebulous description of many "floating windows" doing who-knows-what is much better served by a Tab Control (which I stopped using a few years after becoming mildly proficient in LabVIEW ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(565 Views)