cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I measure the dc component of the voltage with LabView and a PXIe-4496

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am using a NI PXIe-1073 with a PXIe-4496 for several applications. In one of them, I would need to measure voltage, keeping the dc component (it`s a MEMS accelemeter). If it is vertical upright, it gives, for example, +2V, and I need to keep reading that almost constant value.

However, with the DAQ assisstant in LabView, it seems that it reads only the changing component of the signal, as if it doesn´t move, it reads almost 0. If it moves, the, the DAQ system takes the change but then goes back to zero. 

Is this normal? Can I read the constant part of the signal?

(I am a mechnical engineer and I am not at all an expert in signals or data acquisition, so I am probably just missing something basic)

I attach an example in which, after a change, it goes back to zero, and the configuration in the DAQ assistant

Thank you

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,707 Views)

It looks like you have a grounding issue or your incoming signal is AC coupled.  Do you have a wiring diagram of how the sensor is hooked up to the DAQ?  I'm not sure what PseudoDifferential really means (the descriptions I have found don't say much).  You probably want to use Referenced Single Ended (RSE) for your setup.  But it's hard to say without knowing how the sensor should be hooked up.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,706 Views)

Thank you for your response.

I attach a wiring diagram (the accelerometer is a MEMS DE-ACCM3D, reading for example the X channel).

Notes:

a) If I read with a voltimeter, instead of the NI DAQ, y have my constant tension of aprox. 2V.

b) If I replace the output of the accelerometer by a voltage constant tension of 0.3 V for example, I have the same issue. I read 0 V unless I change it (case in which it reads the change and then goes to zero again)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,699 Views)

What signal is the ground attached to on the DAQ card?  You should be using AI GND and then you can use the RSE configuration on your DAQ.

If the GND is going to the negative of a differential channel, then just change your configuration to "Differential" instead of "PseudoDifferential".

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,695 Views)

The negative of the BNC that goes to the DAQ card is the ground on the accelerometer which is the negative of the power supply.

I think that this card doesn't have a AI GND (does it?)

Looking again at the specs, it says:

Input configuration: Pseudodifferential (50 Ω between negative input and chassis ground)

Input coupling: AC only for NI-4496

I really don't know what this last thing means, but could it have something to do with it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,691 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LAPadron

AC coupling is the culprit- it will block all steady state DC components.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,688 Views)

I see, nothing to do then!

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,686 Views)

Yeah, maybe I should look at the specs of the cards you are using...

Ok, your problem is that the PXIe-4496 is AC coupled.  In short, this means that it knocks out the DC component of your signal before sampling.  This is done since some sensors output signals with a DC offset (usually the excitation voltage).  Sorry, but you need a different DAQ card.  Get a hold of you local NI Rep and discuss your project with them.  I'm sure they will come up with something that will work for you.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,684 Views)