LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make an output terminal "Required"?

I want to force the user to wire the output of a VI, so how can I
enable the "Required" option for outputs?
Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,561 Views)
You can only make inputs required.  Outputs are either optional or recommended.  This is because the only thing that should be required is the inputs that are need to allow your vi to run properly and this is never the case with outputs.  The user should be able to choose if they use an output.  Why do you need to make an output required? 
Message 2 of 3
(2,549 Views)

I can give an example as when it would be good to make an output terminal required:

When you use a common data type between multiple VIs, i.e. a LVOOP class, some VIs will modify that data type and other will just just read that data type. It would be nice to make the output data type terminal required for those VIs that modify it. This will create a broken run arrow for those cases the user forgets to wire the output back into the shift-register or cluster where the application stores it.

Some might argue that when using classes, you should always wire the output class data type to be used for in future/downstream references. However, I find that often this is not necessary and just makes it more difficult to create a clean easy to read block diagram. If that was the case, then there should always a be a broken run arrow if the output class data type was not wired.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,119 Views)