LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I look at old labview Vis and tell what version they were written with?

Someone gave me some code from about 1998/99...need to determine what version it was writtern in and if I can run the same vi with labview 8.0?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,403 Views)
See the tips in this thread.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,396 Views)
The above link will give you the original version, something you might not really need to even know. 😮

For the second part of your question " ...and if I can run the same vi with labview 8.0", the logical procedure would be to simply try to open it in LabVIEW 8.0. Takes a few seconds for an instant answer. 😉
Most often, this works without any problems. In the worst case the VI is slightly broken and you need to tweak a few minor things.

What does the code do? Is it plain computation? Does it involve interaction with hardware (DAQ, etc.)?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,375 Views)

As Christian started to query, things like drivers and things outside the core of LV may no longer be supported.

As a general rule NI does a great job on the mutation code (code that automatically updates old code when opened for the first time in a new version).

There is one "gotcha" lurking that could affect the codes ability to run correctly. Somehwere in the 1998 1999 time frame, LV started to support multithreaded applicaitons. If the old code was not written to anticiapte multiple threads, there could be problems. This can be fixed by disabling multithreading.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,357 Views)