From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I launch the Properties Window of a device listed in the Device Manager?

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to launch the Properties of a Device using DevMgr.dll with the "Call Library Function Node" in LabVIEW 8.6

However, I'm not sure if the Parameters (or something else) is configured correctly.

Could somebody look at the attached VI and see what is wrong with it?

I appreciate your help.

HP

Mfg. Test Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,962 Views)

Hi HP,

Good afternoon and I hope your well today.

Is there any particular reason your trying to use the dll?

I have seen before that others have used devcon, "The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager. " Refer to the Microsoft site for more information and to download. 

You can then use the System Exec function in LabVIEW to call the command lines. 

Does this help at all?

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,954 Views)

Hi Mr. Hillman, 

Thank you for your prompt response.

There are some reasons why I would like to use the devmgr.dll instead the Devcon.exe:

1.- Devcon does not launch the Properties Window.

2.- I have to deploy my project in other PCs, so if I use Devcon I need to install it in all machines, devmgr.dll is already there, all I need is to know how to use it.

3.- Knowledge. I would like to know how to use devmgr.dll with the "Call Library Function Node" 

However, I believe I found the way to launch the Properties Window using devmgr.dll.  

Use rundll32.exe devmgr.dll,DeviceProperties_RunDLL /DeviceID "Device Instance ID" as command line in the System Exec.vi 

I attached an example. 

If somebody knows how to use the devmgr.dll with the "Call Library Function Node", please let me know. 

Thank you, 

HP

Message Edited by Hecuba on 06-12-2009 01:56 PM
Mfg. Test Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,944 Views)

Hi HP,

Good afternoon and I hope your well today.

I am afraid I still don't understand why you want to do this Or why you want to use the call library node method.

However, I have been working on this and have managed to get the call to work. 

devmgr.JPG

Note: The code will hang while the window is open

Note: When setting 0 - for properties the code does return an error but the window does appear.. I am unsure why this is at this time. 

Modifications:

1) I have addedthe Find Window call to return the handle number

2) The name of the local machine should be 'Null', but NULL in a string is NOT a NULL string. A NULL string in LabVIEW in an empty string.

I hope this finds you well and please let me know your thoughts,

Message Edited by Hillman on 06-16-2009 05:15 PM
Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
Message 4 of 4
(2,917 Views)