LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I have a program prompt a user to input a selected number of simultaneous (different devices run off com/rs232 ports) and be able to compile all the data and/or graph it simultaneously?

I have a project that I'm working on that I could use some help on.

Some background on it is I'm taking data from a balance via RS-232 (can be a selectable list of balances), and then communicating with them on their own separate COM port. I need these to then run in parallel to then take masses in regular increments and then output them to a graph and/or TDMS file. 

What I'm trying to have is that a subVI prompts the user to how many simultaneous runs will be going.

Then I will want multiple pop prompts (one for each simultaneous run) which will have initial data input (data cluster) and then associate these with the COM port and the specified balance. 

I initially thought of utilizing a For Loop this way but I can't get these windows to pop up multiple times while storing their own values in say a cluster array. Can anyone give me any ideas to get me a little further?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,683 Views)

You can use a combo box to select more than one item from a list. What have you done so far?

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,677 Views)

Cameron,

I've created a prompt for the user to select the number or runs to be run simultaneously. 

This then should trigger the amount of prompts the user needs to input - ie VISA resource, and headers to label the "samples".

I want this to be done in multiples (somewhere around 1-10 simultaneous runs - bounded by the program) so that data points from multiple sources can be taken and graphed/saved to file. I just am having issues with the loop situation to be able to keep prompting the user X times and also output the data to the front panel. Originally i thought I could somehow manipulate a tab control container but I'm getting roadblocked. 

Does that help you understand what I'm trying to do?

I've attached an image of what I want the user to input for each sampling.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,659 Views)

Actually, when I said "What have you done so far?" I meant, "Attach your code to show how you are attacking the problem." Sorry for the misunderstanding.

So, what have you done so far? (code, not pictures, please)

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,628 Views)

eckhofmt,

Have you thought of using reentrant clone VI's? I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do because I can't see your code, but you could launch a certain number of simultaneously running clone VI's based on the user's input and then send the data back to a main VI using a queue. Posting your code would be useful as well!

Ian K.
Software Developer
Data Ahead AG
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,604 Views)