From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I copy an image from Media Player?

I'm using Media Player to locate an image in a video file. I need to process the image for OCR. But I don't know how to copy the image.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,365 Views)

Hi Rick.N,

i´m not sure if there is an Activex Property to take a picture with Media Player, but one solution could be to make a screen shot of it. There are some programs which can make a screen shot with ActiveX support. Hope this helps.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,335 Views)
Which programs? Can you give examples? Are they free, shareware or do they cost money?
greets, Dave
Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,332 Views)

Hi Dave,

i don´t remember the name (i needed it a long time ago), but i´m sure google has an answer. 🙂 Another way could be to simulate a key down event (Ctrl and Print) and read it from the clipboard.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,329 Views)

http://www.fraps.com/

Fraps has a pretty good image capture suite

edit - also, I'm pretty sure that windows screen capture doesn't capture most video.  it will only capture the surrounding program with a black window.

Message Edited by JeffOverton on 02-18-2008 08:47 AM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,318 Views)
Indeed, media players frequently use "video overlay".  Often, however, the media player itself has an explicit function to write the currently-displayed frame to a file.

The freeware VLC Player, from http://www.videolan.org, can do this, for instance.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,301 Views)

You can put an activex media player control on the front panel. Then you can right click on the control and create an invoke node to Get Image. The file is in version 8.5.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,293 Views)
You can use VirtualDub to show the frame of interest, then take a screenshot.  VirtualDub also supports saving image sequences, so that may work for you, as well, if you clip the areas around the frame you want.  VirtualDub is a free video processor available under the GPL license.  Some versions can be controlled programmatically, although I have never heard of anyone doing this in LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,247 Views)
UncleBump

I tried the invoke node approach but only got the frame with a black screen.

Is there a trick to getting the actual image.

(btw, I couldn't open you file. We're at 8.2 here)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,223 Views)
No idea. Never tried to do it before this.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,218 Views)