LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I control external devices using a touch screen with a standalone LabVIEW app

Solved!
Go to solution

For my senior design project my group and I created a hybrid extended range vehicle with 90 Li+ Batteries thats charged by a 15 kW generator and/or that is also being charged by a 5 kW fuel cell. Currently, our system is capable of measuring voltages off of the batteries and displaying them on a laptop via LabVIEW. To process this data, we are using a cRIO FPGA. What we would like to do now is have a touch screen for the driver to choose what power source charges the batteries as well as monitor a pressure reading coming from the fuel cell tank. 

What sort of small touch screens allow for LabVIEW to be uploaded on and used for controls?

Does a cRIO have the capability to power such a screen and handle the data transfer from the fuel sensor and switching relays (for switching on and off powersources)? 

Do I need an additional license for creating standalone applications and how would i go about creating a standalone app?

sorry for so many question. Any reply helps. Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
(2,798 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author steve215

That sounds like a pretty interesting project. 

@steve215 wrote:

What sort of small touch screens allow for LabVIEW to be uploaded on and used for controls? 

NI does sell Touch Panel computers that can be used to control LabVIEW applications.  You can find more information here: HMIs and Industrial Touch Panels and here: LabVIEW Real-Time and Touch Panel Deployment and Replication Resources. You may find the Getting Started with the LabVIEW Touch Panel Module useful.

You can use third party devices with the LabVIEW Touch Panel Module, although you will need a deployment license for it.  More information can be found in the getting started guide.

If you were able to send the cRIO information over a network (which from your description sounds unlikely), you may be able to use a smartphone to control your application.  More information can be found on our Community Smartphone Group.

@steve215 wrote:

Does a cRIO have the capability to power such a screen and handle the data transfer from the fuel sensor and switching relays (for switching on and off powersources)? 

If you were using the 6-inch touch panels, they require 18 to 32 VDC (the fuse becomes an open circuit if input level exceeds 33 VDC).  The data transfer from the switching relays can be monitored and changed with the touch panel.

@steve215 wrote:

Do I need an additional license for creating standalone applications and how would i go about creating a standalone app? 

If you went the touch panel route, you would need to purchase the LabVIEW Touch Panel Module, and a touch panel.  The NI touch panels come with a touch panel deployment license.  Step-by-step guides for creating the standalone app can be found in the Getting Started with the LabVIEW Touch Panel Module guide. 

Regards,

Elizabeth K. 

Message 2 of 3
(2,769 Views)

Wow, this is very helpful, thanks for all the useful information!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,764 Views)