LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change the tip strip display time?

I would like to have the tip strip appear for a longer time, or even have it stay as long as the user hovers over the control. Any suggestions? I don't want to use an event structure because that would be major surgery on a legacy application. Thanks. Matt
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,506 Views)

I can't say for sure but I can say that I spent some time looking for that. I would think it is an INI tag if this is even possible. If there is no way to configure tip-strip behaviour then this is something for the idea exchange.

But it doesn't have to be major surgery. If you can do minor outpatient surgery then something like this could work for you. If not maybe it will help someone else.

I call this a drop-in vi because you don't modify the application you put it in. It just sits outside of the main loop.

Capture.PNG

This is a quick and dirty demo how you can use the caption for a tip-strip. It uses a subvi with an event structure that on mouse over copies the tip-strip text to the caption text. On mouse out it restores the caption.

The demo has some issues that would need to be resolved in production. The event loop should continue executing and exit based on a user event. Then the loop surrounding the tip-strip vi can be removed. But I wanted to keep this short and sweet.

Another improvement is to make the text stand out better by changing colors when the tip-strip text is in the caption.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Download All
Message 2 of 3
(3,484 Views)
Great idea, Steve. Thanks. I'll give it a whirl. Matt
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,472 Views)