LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I access my NI-DMM as a GPIB device?

Hello everyone!

I am struggling to use my NI USB 4065 digital multimeter in LabView. In my control panel the device driver appears as a "DAQ device" and it does not appear as a COM port as my other devices... I downloaded the driver in NI website... I want to access it in LabView via Visa.

Someone can help me out?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,297 Views)

NO - never possible, NI DMM uses an NI-DMM driver and not a VISA device.

Alternatively, you can use IVI drivers if you're interested.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,272 Views)

Hi Santo_13, thank you for your answer!

I am a beginner in LabVIEW, I made a program using VISA to control a power supply from California instruments.

I bought the USB NI 4065 because I thought, since it is NI it should be easier to program by LabVIEW, but I deeply regret buying it.

In attach my device manager screen and MAX window, also I attached my LabVIEW 'find instrument drivers' screen showing no niDMM as I think it should have.

May you help me find a way to acquire data from my DMM in my labview code? PS.: I can access it through Instrument Studio, so it is working.

Kind regards,

J.V.

Instrument driver.PNG

max_screen.PNG

  

device_manager.PNG

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,231 Views)

To use NI-DMM you can use the driver APIs available under Instrument Drivers,

santo_13_0-1631809128922.png

There are many examples available for NI-DMM under example finder, Help->Find Examples

santo_13_1-1631809217483.png

It is easy to use, just that you don't know how and where to look for it.

Trust me, I use NI software and hardware everyday for work for over 6 years, things are easy just you need to learn stuff

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Message 4 of 11
(1,226 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

Thank you again for your answer. That is where my problem starts. In my instrument driver niDMM did not appear, and in the labview examples i did not have those you showed in the prints. I installed and re installed the dmm driver to double check why is it happening, but nothing changed. I lost two days of working in such a basic issue. 

Thank you for your effort trying to help me.

Kind regards,

J.V.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,206 Views)

That doesn't sound right, what version of the instrument driver and LabVIEW did you install?

As long as you installed the instrument driver after installing LabVIEW, everything should be fine, btw, always instrument driver has to be equal to or higher than the LabVIEW version. For example, NI-DMM 18.0 will not work with LabVIEW 2019 whereas the other way around works.

Can you share the NI-MAX report? https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000x06MCAQ&l=en-US

One thing for sure is that the NI-DMM driver is installed (I believe), that is how Instrument Studio can communicate with the DMM, if you don't see things on LabVIEW, it is either a version mismatch or you excluded NI-DMM support for LabVIEW during installation.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,201 Views)

Hello Santhosh!

In attach the report file, I am using the latest version of LabVIEW and the latest version of the drivers as well. I am having the same problem in my university PC as well, there they are using LabVIEW 2013 and NI-DMM 3.01.

Thank you very much for your help and support!

Kind regards,

J.V.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,190 Views)

Huh, now it makes sense why it does not come up for you, looks like you have installed only the IVI based NI-DMM driver and not the regular NI-DMM driver.

santo_13_0-1631884753732.png

In this case, the IVI based drivers are available under a different functional palette,

santo_13_1-1631884810671.png

Respective examples are found here, look for the word DMM in the example name,

santo_13_2-1631884874080.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(1,188 Views)

Hi! Fixed it!

Thanks to your great inputs I realized that the LabVIEW 2021 does not have a DMM driver yet. So I downloaded the LabVIEW 2020 and it is working perfectly, thank you very much for all your help Santhosh.

Kind regards,

J.V.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,185 Views)

@Campos1992 wrote:

Thanks to your great inputs I realized that the LabVIEW 2021 does not have a DMM driver yet.

Yep.  You are not the only one having this issue:  Labview 2021 and NI-DMM driver? 

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,182 Views)