From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How LV interfaces with a microcontroller (serial communication).

I am starting to design a system that uses an RFIC, a microcontroller and a VI to act as a user interface.  The microcontroller outputs in RS232 to a Lantronix device which packages up the information and sends it over a network. I plan on using LV's VISA to locate the device.  I have not worked with a system like this before and I would like to know how LV sees the data that is being sent over the network and how I can unpackage the data and make sense of it in LV, then output data to be sent to the uC.  I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,337 Views)

The Lantronix device will install a device driver to the PC that creates a virtual com port.  LabVIEW will communicate with that com port (Let's say Com8) through VISA.  The device driver will handle the communication with the Lantronix device over the network.

The Lantronix device I used is pretty sophisticated, and was not that easy to set up.  It may also have other methods of communication such as talking to it TCP/IP.  If I remember correctly, it also had a local terminal mode and a remote terminal mode.

In the end, once I figured out the trick to getting the device driver to work (the instructions were just not that obvious on how you had to set up the ports and open up the firewall to make it work), I was able to use it just like I said at the beginning as a Virtual com port.  I've used other remote serial devices that were truly much more plug and play.

Message 2 of 2
(2,330 Views)