From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilight Execution or won't work

I am using an ActiveX control to read an EPICS channel: I use AutomationOpen to get a ref # to my ocx control, then use a flat sequence to: Add a channel, check it is connected, read something on that channel, each one by calling methods in my ActiveX control, then close the reference.

If I single step, or run the vi with the Hi-light bulb enabled, everythinng works as supposed, and I get a readback value off my equipment. When I try and run it normally (Hi-light bulb off), the vi runs, but does not really do anything: the indicator shows the channel is not connected, and it doesn't read any value. I checked already to see if there's an inadvertently braekpoint set, or pause button checked, and everything is as it should be.

I'm
at a loss. Any ideas ?

Thank you

Larry T.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,831 Views)
When I've seen this happen, it usually turns out to be a timing issue.

With Hilight Execution turned on, the program executes much slower than it does when running normally.

Try putting some delay between your steps, one at a time to see if that fixes your problem.

Your ActiveX calls may be taking longer to return values than your application is allowing for.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 2 of 5
(2,830 Views)
Ok, it seems that "Add channel" returns BEFORE the channel is actually connected to the vi. Lucky to find this bit of info on some dustty doc file. So we got a timing problem, etc, etc...

Larry T.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,830 Views)
Can I ask you how your labview - epics interface actually works?

I used to use ActiveX CA tools for that (and Labview 6.1)

However I use now a new computer with labview 7.1. I have tried to install the same package but it does not work anymore. Not sure why.
Furthermore Labview is saying that future versions will not support this package anymore (Wait On ActiveX Event.vi will not be supported anymore).
Are there new tools/packages available that work for labview 7.1 and higher versions?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,647 Views)
Steven,

The error you are seeing is due to some of the upgrades that were included when upgrading from LabVIEW 6.1 to 7.1.  Included in these is how we do some of the ActiveX calls.  I am unfamiliar with the EPICS software, but you may be able to migrate the software to use the new ActiveX Events.  Here is a KB about how to do that.  Once you have those unsupported VIs replaced you should be able to use the ActiveX CA tools, but questions about how should be directed to the developers of those tools.  I hope this helps!

Regards,
Andy F.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,623 Views)