LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High speed data logging (10 kHz)

Solved!
Go to solution

I need to read 15 sensors 10,000 times per second and log all the data into a tab-delimited file. The code is running on a cRIO (NI 9082). Data is being read on the FPGA level off three NI 9220 analog voltage modules and logged at the RT level. I'm writing a GPS timestamp plus 15x 24-bit FXP values. The tests will run as long as 30 minutes so it's a boatload of data, something like 2.5 GB in a full test.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out on my own and all I have now is a system that bogs down the cRIO , messing up other processes, and loses about 60% of the data points. I'm using a FIFO to get the data from the FPGA to the RT, but the RT logger can't write all the data to disk even with buffers designed to keep me from losing data. Before continuing my half-cocked efforts, I thought I'd ask advice from someone more experienced.

If you were designing a system like this from the ground up, how would you do it? Is it even possible to log this much data this fast?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,019 Views)

how many bits per data point?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,013 Views)

Never mind, I see... I was thinking DMA to your logging computer would probably be able to handle it. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,010 Views)

Also, consider that you probably don't have to process your data until after the test is complete. Converting a boat load of data into a csv can take a lot of energy from a cpu.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,003 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andy_Humphrey

For that matter, have you considered using TDMS format? Seems like a perfect use case. Representing that much data in ASCII format adds a ton of overhead so you should avoid it if you can.

Message 5 of 7
(3,968 Views)

I would save the data to a TDMS file.  It is A LOT faster for writing data than converting the data into an ascii format and then save it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,965 Views)

Thanks, TDMS sounds right. I figured there was something built in. I see there is a library to read TDMS files in Matlab, which is what the client is using.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,946 Views)