From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi guys!!!! What settings do you use to send and receive CAN messages using labview?

There are tons of examples regarding CAN. But they do not seem to work when I run them. Is anyone familiar with CAN?

I have NI cDAQ-9184 hard and a can card, I am using J1939 dbc file. Below is the example from Labview that I am 

NI example1.PNGFront PanelFront PanelBlock diagramBlock diagram I am trying to use. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,122 Views)

What CAN module are you using?  From what I am seeing here, you need a NI-9861 and NI-6862 to be using a cDAQ.  The other possible C series modules require a cRIO controller.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,080 Views)

Hi GRC,

@GRC5000 wrote:

But they do not seem to work when I run them.

This is a rather vague description of your problem.

Can you bring up some more detailed descriptions?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,059 Views)

Do you know if there is security with this database? If there is security for the CAN messages then a basic CAN message bus will not work. You will have to do the work to integrate the security to keep the bus transmitting messages.

For the CAN communication that we deal with we have to connect and transmit a code to the part we are talking to. Then we have a CRC or something to calculate the message for transmission as well as receiving. Some are more complicated then others. Some system are picky about timing and other are not.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,037 Views)

I am using the NI 9862 module

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,005 Views)