Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with using "Save to Series of Files (multiple files)"

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, 

My name is Daniel R. 

I am a student doing undergraduate research and was put on a project using LabView (having no previous experience using Labview).

I am using LabView 2013 Student Edition version 13.0.

Now the VI I created is to obtain data from a PMT using a Rigol DS1204B connected to Labview.

The problem that arose was saving to a series of files (automatically saving). I plan to take at least 1000 runs and manually naming each is not very efficient. I have my VI attached, if anyone would kindly take a look at it. I suspect the problem is coming from the "Write to Measurement File" in the block diagram. I have set the "Save to series of Files" option, however, when I double click the "Write to measurement" box I see that "Save to one File" is chosen and after a second it converts automatically to the "Save to Series" option.

I do not have enough experience to properly know why it wants me to name each file, so I am reaching out for help.

Any advice or improvements on my VI is also appreciated.

Thank You,

Daniel R.

Message 1 of 5
(2,737 Views)

It is the Write Waveform to Spreadsheet File that is causing the dialog boxes.  You need to supply a file path for it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(2,714 Views)

Ok, I did that and now it writes a file automatically. However, anyother signal wants to replace the current file (I do not want to append the file, but make new files automatically)... do I have to connect it to the "Write to Measurement File"? 

Ive tried connecting it with no luck. 

Thank you for a quick response,

Daniel R.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,705 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bigoldfrog

Who says you can't dynamically build a file name each loop iteration?  I like to use the Format String to add the loop counter to a string that then is turned into a file path.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 5
(2,699 Views)

Thanks, that worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,686 Views)