cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with sending an Message to the Calling Actor

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all!

Yesterday, I had a quite unspecific question sending Messages upwards the tree of Actors in Actor framework. At that time, I had copied & pasted a lot from examples and tutorials. Now, I started from scratch and simply want to send a Message from a Nested actor to the Calling Actor. In the attached code, I expect a DialogBox to appear when the Nested Actor is launched. However, nothing happens.

Could anyone of you help me to find the problem, and, even more important, tell me how to debug things like this?

I don't know if this is of any importance, but the forum guidelines ask to provide the following information:

Labview version: 2019

OS: Suse Linux Leap 15.1, Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.28.10-default , gcc 7.4.0

Note that I'm not sure whether the attached example code is really minimal to show my problem, I even think it's quite bloated. However, with my very limited knowledge on Labview I believe that I cannot further reduce it. I expect this to be wrong 😉

Thank you all in advance!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,218 Views)

Many LabVIEW users do not quickly upgrade to the latest version (2019 just came out this summer) for various reasons.  You will probably get more people (including me) to look at your code if you do a "Save for Previous Version..." and at least go back to ver 2018.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,202 Views)

@NIquist wrote:

Many LabVIEW users do not quickly upgrade to the latest version (2019 just came out this summer) for various reasons.  You will probably get more people (including me) to look at your code if you do a "Save for Previous Version..." and at least go back to ver 2018.

I have updated my post.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,194 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author patta42

In the actor core, you need to send the message before (or in parallel with) calling the parent actor core. Since you are calling it after, it won't send until the actor is stopping (which is not really useful...)

As for debugging, try using Monitored Actor.

Message 4 of 5
(2,184 Views)

I would also recommend using Panel Actor, it will make doing your UI stuff a lot easier.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,168 Views)