LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with LabVIEW Basics

Hey guys,

I'm in a hardware class and I need some help.  We use Multisim to create circuit schematics, but I mentioned to my professor that I used LabVIEW in a robotics club.  Now he wants to to write the same tutorial we used for Multisim, but for LabVIEW.  The tutorial is pretty simple, but I'm having trouble finding some components.  I need to find power supplies (mainly VCC), switches, a logic analyzer, and a word generator.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,941 Views)

LabVIEW is a programming environment, not a circuit design tool. It is not clear what you are trying to do here.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,922 Views)

I am aware.  I am supposed to do something as simple as turn on an LED with a switch that is connected to a power supply.  There are waveform analyzers here for other parts of the tutorial I am writing, but I can't find certain parts.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,915 Views)

Hi pareod,

I am supposed to do something as simple as turn on an LED with a switch that is connected to a power supply.

You will need:

- a power supply

- a switch (relais, MOSFET, …)

- a LED

- some hardware to drive your switch

- hardware drivers for your hardware

- a LabVIEW VI that calls that hardware driver

Or do you just want to "simulate" all this? Use a button and a LED from the boolean elements palette and connect them…

As this is the very first example you will most often see for LabVIEW: take the free online courses offered by NI on their website!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,909 Views)

I'm trying to simulate everything.  Is there no power supply from Controls?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,902 Views)

Hi pareod,

why would you need a "power supply" in a programming language? Have you ever needed a "power supply" in C(++|#)/Pascal/BASIC/JAVA/whatever?

Do the LabVIEW beginner courses when you want to write a manual about LabVIEW…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,890 Views)
The 'power supply' would just be a numeric control on the front panel and your switch could be a customized dial if you want it to look like an actual switch. Basic logic on the block diagram. Silly to look for a power supply on the functions palette.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,871 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
The 'power supply' would just be a numeric control on the front panel and your switch could be a customized dial if you want it to look like an actual switch. Basic logic on the block diagram. Silly to look for a power supply on the functions palette.

Actually, I think the "power supply" can just be a boolean control here.

Oh, and here are plenty of tutorials that should show you want you want to do.

3 Hour Introduction
6 Hour Introduction
LabVEW Basics
Self Paced training for students
Self Paced training beginner to advanced, SSP Required
LabVIEW Wiki on Training
Learning NI
Getting Started with NI Products

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,833 Views)

@pareod wrote:

I'm trying to simulate everything.  Is there no power supply from Controls?

If you just need a 5V "power supply", use a numeric diagram constant with a value of 5. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,822 Views)