LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with KIKUSUI PCR 1000M AC power supply

Hello,

I downloaded manual of KIKUSUI PCR 1000M ac power supply. Manual document refers to SCPI commands.

I've been searching for a while to find example VI for KIKUSUI PCR 1000M with no success.

Could anyone please advice me how to get started communicating with instrument using SCPI commands?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,297 Views)

Hi Balazs,

@LTBALAZS wrote:

I've been searching for a while to find example VI for KIKUSUI PCR 1000M with no success.

Could anyone please advice me how to get started communicating with instrument using SCPI commands?

You can examine any other device driver, which is based on SCPI commands, to learn how to write your own driver for your power supply.

(You may start with the Agilent34401 driver which comes with LabVIEW by default. In the end all you need are VISA functions to send SCPI commands and read the device responses…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,280 Views)

Hi,

I have an old instrument with RS232C type communication: KIKUSUI PCR1000M AC power supply.

I use working delock serial to USB converter with a self made RS232 male to female adapter. (About the M/F adapter: I just wired out directly  the same pins from male side.)

Instrument does not respond though. I checked baud rate but no response. Instrument is on COM9 and has manufacturers' application to test with. No success.

Should serial pins wired differently?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,234 Views)

Hi Balazs,

maybe that old device is "just broken"?

Do you have any proof that device responds on this serial port with any other computer/software?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,222 Views)

Only the device documentation can prove it, but if the connector on the device is a male DB9, it's likely that you need a cross cable, i.e. interchange pins 2 and 3.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,215 Views)

@pincpanter wrote:

Only the device documentation can prove it, but if the connector on the device is a male DB9, it's likely that you need a cross cable, i.e. interchange pins 2 and 3.

Remember that RS-232 really often stands for "ReSolder pin 2 to 3 and 3 to 2". 😁

As to the OPs message. I didn't quite understand if the manufacturers application software did or didn't work, and the problem is in accessing the device from LabVIEW only, or if it simply doesn't work at all. It would be a very important distinction to make for further debugging.

Also why would one need a 1:1 wired male to female adapter? If it was rather a cable with female connectors on both sides then it would be simpler and a lot cheaper to simply buy a ready made "null modem" cable. For the 2 to 3 $ they typically cost I couldn't even switch on my solder station.😁

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,208 Views)

Yes, it was the 're solder pin' issue.

Communication is working after I re soldered pins 3-2! 🙂

Thanks to you all!

Cheers,

Balázs

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7