LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Continuous acquisition and logging project template

Okay I have decided I am going to attempt to figure this out. This project template was recomended in an eirler post http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Help-with-freeze-up/m-p/2636739#M788003

So bear with me here as I ask a bunch of questions that I probably would already know if I had any formal Lab View training.

Lets start with the Acquisition loop I inserted the VI for my instrument but now I have a bad wire leading to the Notifier(?) and Enqueue Vi's. My instrument Vi outputs a numeric array these require some sort of cluster input. I tried making a cluster constant and using bundle but this type of cluster does not bundle or unbundle?

Aquire.PNG

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 1 of 15
(3,151 Views)

If you turn on context help (Ctrl-h) and hover over the notifier wire, it will tell you what type of data it expects.

Or disconnect the "notification" input, right click and "create constant".

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,145 Views)

@Todd_Lesher wrote:

If you turn on context help (Ctrl-h) and hover over the notifier wire, it will tell you what type of data it expects.

Or disconnect the "notification" input, right click and "create constant".

Oh, thanks. I see it contains Array (1D array of) dosen't say what of, and a Waveform (Waveform DBL)

notifye.PNG

So my instrument VI outputs an numeric array of measurments, how to I turn that into something that works with this Notifier?

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,137 Views)

Hi RTSLVU,

That's a 1D-Array of Waveform(DBL)- note that "Waveform" is inset rather than inline with "Array".

If you're planning on working exclusively with arrays of DBL, you'll probably want to change the data type used to initialize the queue and notifier rather than converting the numeric array to a waveform.

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,130 Views)

Don't be afraid to go up to the main vi and change the notifier's datatype to match your vi's output

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,126 Views)

@0utlaw wrote:

Hi RTSLVU,

That's a 1D-Array of Waveform(DBL)- note that "Waveform" is inset rather than inline with "Array".

If you're planning on working exclusively with arrays of DBL, you'll probably want to change the data type used to initialize the queue and notifier rather than converting the numeric array to a waveform.

Regards,

I opened the constatns that initilze the Queue and Notifier and they contain a time stamp, a numeric array, a numeric constant, and a variant.

notconstante.PNG

But it  changes to just a waveform in the Accuision vi

Aqloop.PNG

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,123 Views)

Hi RTSLVU,

A Waveform is actually a cluster containing those data types you listed- initial time, delta t, values, and a waveform variant that can store various attributes such as channel names- note the cluster (pink) border within the array. These documents have more information on using waveforms:

KnowledgeBase: Using the Waveform Data Type in LabVIEW

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8qkSAC&l=en-US

LabVIEW Help: Accessing Waveform Attributes

https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/labview-api-ref/page/functions/get-waveform-attribute.html

Hope that helps!

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,116 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Don't be afraid to go up to the main vi and change the notifier's datatype to match your vi's output

Okay I see now I need to manually replace the Data Notifier and Data Queue input constant with one containing just the data type I need in every single VI.

Curse them for not making this a typedef!Smiley Mad

newnote.PNG

========================
========================
Message 8 of 15
(3,113 Views)

Nope damnit that won't work either it is still broken in the Acquire.vi.

I am going to have to figure out how to make the origonal waveform cluster work.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,103 Views)

Hey,  If it was easy we wouldn't earn all the money they pay us to learn this stuff.

I'm pleased to see you working through it though!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,091 Views)