LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to determine if eyelid is open or closed

Hello - 

I am working on a blinking project with the human eyes. I've got a good eyelid tracking piece of software, but it only works if the eyes are open at first. If the eyes are open, then the lid tracking software can track very well with eyes open or closed after that. However, if eyes are closed from the start, the lid tracking has lots of issues and does not track well. 

So I need a way to determine if the lid is open or closed, then I can first start tracking the lid when the eyes are open. 

Thanks - Ron

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,283 Views)

Thinking outside the box (since we can't see your code or read about functionallity of the mystery eyelid tracking software)

Use clown makeup to add eyeballs of a different color from the subject's irises to the outside of the eyelids and differentiate open/closed based on color

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,276 Views)

It is simple. You need to scare the hell out of the user, everyone keeps eyes wide open when scared (evolutionary benefit). So when the user clicks on a "Start" button in the middle of the front panel, just show them something very scary like this: -scary picture-

Right after this moment you trigger the eye-lid tracking algorithm...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,265 Views)

This doesn't really sound like a LabVIEW question but it sounds fun, so here's my two dollar's worth (inflation, you know).

Assuming this is working with video input, maybe you can take a movie of the subect with eye open, then play this video at the beginning so you can always start with an open eye, then switch over to live video?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,262 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

It is simple. You need to scare the hell out of the user, everyone keeps eyes wide open when scared (evolutionary benefit). So when the user clicks on a "Start" button in the middle of the front panel, just show them something very scary like this: -scary picture-

Right after this moment you trigger the eye-lid tracking algorithm...

LOL - but what if this is to track how often a person opens their eyes when they are sleeping?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,260 Views)

How about the pupil. Is there a way to consistently find the pupils using vision module? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,249 Views)
Try pattern matching of pupil and capture images continuously to detect whether pupil is available or not.
Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,242 Views)

@udka wrote:
Try pattern matching of pupil and capture images continuously to detect whether pupil is available or not.

This may be trickier than you think, since the diameter of the pupil will vary wildly with lighting and will likely be changing even as the eye is opening and closing.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,234 Views)

The color of the eyelids should be similar to the color of the skin surrounding the eyes. If you can mask an area you are sure will not contain the eye, then compare the color in that area to the entire image. A reasonably close match over the image (after accounting for eyebrows, eyelashes, scars, and so on...) would indicate closed eyes.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,216 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

The color of the eyelids should be similar to the color of the skin surrounding the eyes. If you can mask an area you are sure will not contain the eye, then compare the color in that area to the entire image. A reasonably close match over the image (after accounting for eyebrows, eyelashes, scars, and so on...) would indicate closed eyes.

Lynn

Assuming no mascara.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,207 Views)