From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help a Newbie with writing time and date to Measurement File

I need help with taking data and showing current time and date on both a chart and writing it to a measurement file.

Essentially I am taking in data from an encoder that outputs data in amps. From here I taking that output current and converting it to a position value in inches. Then calculating velocity which would be outputted on a chart. However, I can't seem to show the current date and time. This VI is running separately over the network. I am using a NI 9207 module on a CompactRIO-9045

I have attached the Vi I am using which is on LabVIEW 2020.

Any assistance would be appreciated and since I am a newbie I might not have given you all the information you might need to help me but I can provide more if needed.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,264 Views)

Your VI is missing.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,251 Views)

Sorry I thought I attached it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,225 Views)

Hi AverageJoe,

@YourAverageJoe wrote:

Then calculating velocity which would be outputted on a chart. However, I can't seem to show the current date and time.

Technical solution to your question: convert the scalar FeedRate value into a waveform, then display the waveform in your chart. The chart will now allow to display timestamps on the x axis…

Your really should cleanup the VI:

• no sequence structure needed
  • no need for ExpressVIs just to calculate some simple formulas
  • why do you set a sample rate in your DAQmx task, when you limit the iteration speed of the while loop using a wait function?
  • why do you read "N samples" when you only use one single sample per iteration???
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,198 Views)

Thank you for the help.

Do you know a good way to save this information to the measurement file. I've been trying to find a way for it to save the time stamps as well as the data in like lets say 2 columns and have it presented nicely.

Any assistance would be great

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,157 Views)

'Get Date/Time String' or 'Format into string' (if you want more control) will convert a timestamp to a string that you can write.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,149 Views)

How is that parameter pass through the write to measurement file express VI. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,136 Views)

Hi Joe,

@YourAverageJoe wrote:

I've been trying to find a way for it to save the time stamps as well as the data in like lets say 2 columns and have it presented nicely.

Then you need to provide your data as two columns (aka 2D array). Right now you only save a 1D array, resulting in just one columns…

Judging from your VI you should take the "Training resources" to learn LabVIEW basics (like data handling with correct datatypes)!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,130 Views)

Yes again I'm still learning and I believe I found some way of making it play nice. Thanks for the training resources.

Here is what I have after some time making my own revisions.

Let me know what you think.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,107 Views)