LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to Activate LabVIEW 2010 SP1

Hi

I don't like the fact I have to activate LabVIEW 2010 SP1 after upgrading from a valid LabVIEW 2010 installation with a valid membership.

For example, if I bought up dev PCs onsite and NI's Activation Site was down (like it was all of yesterday after I successfully downloaded the SP) I would not be able to build and deploy applications in evaluation mode, I don't like the thought of that at all for a Service Pack update.  

Thanks for listening,

-JG

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(4,880 Views)

That does sound a bit annoying and potentially problematic.  We do ask for activation for SP1 because it is considered a separate release.  We sincerely apologize for the servers being down, and though I know it may be a hassle, in the future you can always call 1-866-ASK-MYNI to help with any activation issues you may be having.  To get your concern viewed by R&D, you may want to try posting in the Idea Exchange at http://www.ni.com/ideas

Regards,
Jake G.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(4,824 Views)

@TheTician wrote:

That does sound a bit annoying and potentially problematic.  We do ask for activation for SP1 because it is considered a separate release.  We sincerely apologize for the servers being down, and though I know it may be a hassle, in the future you can always call 1-866-ASK-MYNI to help with any activation issues you may be having.  To get your concern viewed by R&D, you may want to try posting in the Idea Exchange at http://www.ni.com/ideas

Thanks for the reply - (I live outside of the States) I did not know such a number existed but is handy to know.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(4,806 Views)

"We do ask for activation for SP1 because it is considered a separate release."

Well, if so, it should be installd in a separete place.

Othervice, I had to uninstall SP1 and reinstall LV2010, just becouse my lic expired and SP1 overwrite my working LV2010.

Never had this problem before... confused by this update.

It you consider it as a separate release, make it SEPARETE. But not overwriting my working LV2010 to find out I can't use it after.

Vadym

Message 4 of 19
(4,661 Views)

This is a very interesting point and I would like to see it discussed further. Possibly even on the IE?

It would solve any issues with the above and even allow one to test the Service Pack to some degree (although this normally requires updating drivers e.g. Real-Time, so a seperate machine maybe still be required to quickly rollback).

<edit> I cross-posted this thread to LAVA </edit>

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(4,654 Views)

Yep..

I have LV2008, LV2009, LV2010... all of them a REAL separate relise and I have them working in one PC without problem.

This time NI diside to overwrite my LV2010 with SP1 so called "separate" relise. Ask for activaton.. and in case it expierd. I had to reinsatll previous LV2010.

From my poin of view.. or call it 2011, or install it in separate folder LV2010SP1 or do not ask for activation. Otherwise - confusion.

2jgcood

thanks for your attention.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(4,648 Views)

I'm not sure if I'm ready to use another 720+ MB of local disk space for a 'service pack'. I would also need to migrate my instr.lib and user.lib.

Maybe we need a better definition of "Service Pack" as defined by NI. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_pack

If I purchase or upgrade to a new release in order to take advantage of a new feature and that feature (by virtue of being new) contains a bug or defficiency that prevents me from using it, then I would expect to have access to the service pack that addresses the problem. An example would be the new Network Streams and their use in a compiled application.

For me, activation is another administrative task. Administration and configuration management takes away from 'the work at hand'. If the effort required is not commensurate with the value received, then I have no need for the service pack. I may then have no need for a support subscription.

I have not recently read the terms for a new purchase / upgrade to LabVIEW but I believe that it includes 12 months of support. If the release cycle is 12 months, why do we need to activate?

I suggest that it should work as before.

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 7 of 19
(4,631 Views)

Right..

New separate relise means new functionallity and you pay for it if you need. And you call it LV2011.

If LV2010 SP1 mostly has "a collection of updates, fixes and/or enhancements..." you call it SP1. Should you ask to pay for it? From my poin of view - no.

Message 8 of 19
(4,620 Views)

@Vadym wrote:

Yep..

I have LV2008, LV2009, LV2010... all of them a REAL separate relise and I have them working in one PC without problem.

This time NI diside to overwrite my LV2010 with SP1 so called "separate" relise. Ask for activaton.. and in case it expierd. I had to reinsatll previous LV2010.

From my poin of view.. or call it 2011, or install it in separate folder LV2010SP1 or do not ask for activation. Otherwise - confusion.

Actually LV 2008 was called 8.6 and the SP1 of it was called 8.6.1. There was a LV2009 SP1 too, and the current policy that installing the intermediate update version requires an ongoing SSP at the point of release of that intermediate update has been in place since at least 8.2.1. It may have been that you only could get access to 8.2.1 if you had a valid SSP, which might be the reason you can't download it anywhere anymore. But 2009 SP1 and I believe at least 8.6.1 required new activation too.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(4,576 Views)

Ok.. it was an example of my understanding for separate relise.

Anyway, it was a first time for me when i was unable to use software after service pack update, wahich repalced my working vertion. And yes, there is note in the description, that SP1 will need activation. So will be carefull next time. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(4,570 Views)