LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you some ideas about customs probes?

Hello,

We are developping some customs probes very useful for debugging and it will be very interesting to have developpers return on this subject.

What kind of probes did you use? What fonctionnality is not implemented in the existent probes on LabVIEW? Do you some ideas about some new probes?

You can find some customs probes developped by SAPHIR on VI Package Manager.

Jérémie LE BOURSICAULT

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,638 Views)

I'm curious because I have not used them (probes usually last about 5 minutes and are gone so I never saw the need).

So what am I missing?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,619 Views)

Hi,

You can find a document on the SAPHIR group community :

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-18617

And you can find a video presenting some customs probe and the package to download on the LAVA discussion :

http://lavag.org/topic/13420-custom-probes/page__p__89142#entry89142

We try to ameliorate the development, more particularly the debuging and we are open to new ideas.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,613 Views)

The custom probes I most often re-create are "MixedStringProbe" and "IntegerStyleI/UxxProbe".  These probes simply allow the developer to change display style of a string and integer datatypes.  Of course, if the generic probes defaulted to show display style they would not be neededSmiley Surprised  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,605 Views)

In the Vi Box Probes - SAPHIR these both case are managed.

For a string, you can change the display style.

For a numeric, you can change the radix and the display format.

All these changes can be done on 1D Array and 2D array too.

You can also keep an history of a string or a numeric.

I let you to have a quick look at this Toolkit.

Thanks for you return

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,599 Views)

There's this idea in the Idea Exchange to "View probe values within the code during execution".

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,598 Views)

I love custom probes.  But most of time I use them, they are fairly special purpose.  Two examples:

1. When developing a wire routing algorithm, I was faced with a huge database of coordinates.  It was not very human readable.  I created a custom probe which plotted the data on a picture control so I could see what was actually happening.  I even included color coding for bad sets of data.
  2. When scripting, it is often nice to see more than just a non-zero reference.  Custom probes allow you to extract all sorts of info from a reference and display it.
Message 7 of 8
(2,558 Views)

I've started a new topic on our NI Community group to discuss more about new probes we could add to our toolkit --> https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/10828

Feel free to add your needs and feedbacks.

Olivier

Olivier Jourdan

Wovalab founder | DQMH Consortium board member | LinkedIn |

Stop writing your LabVIEW code documentation, use Antidoc!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,532 Views)