LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone used Zebra barcode printers with LabVIEW

Ethan85, actually VISA serial write does work without error--I just need to disable and enable the COM port before I run the VI.
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 46
(4,512 Views)

Can you post the VI that you're using?

Try using the VI attached.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 46
(4,493 Views)

Look at the following blog, you will find a way to do this here:

http://extremetesteng.blogspot.com/

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 46
(4,331 Views)

Hello to all of you guys,

so this is my post on the forum and I hope it will be any good. 

I started using LabVIEW about 3 months ago and in the last week I am doing a project where you have to read a barcode and then take some information out of it. This data and some other data from a work place have to create a new barcode.

The WI works !!! In my case !!! 

I am using a Zebra 105SL printer and a USB to RS232 connection.

The first thing that you have to be careful is of course the settings between the printer and the VISAserial in LabVIEW !

The second thing (in my case) is that the printer is a DTE (data terminal equipment (IBM)) device and so is the computer. So you need a USB to RS232null modem + woman to man connector. 

The flow control setting is not important in the program (in my case).

And be careful when you put the code for Zebra into strings. I spent 1 days studying the code. You have to be careful about the ^ sign and use the commands for BEGIN CASE(^XA) and START PRINTING(^XZ) that must start and end each stcker.

When you end the line with END LINE (^FS) use the Line Feed Constant that you found in Strings menu in LabVIEW. It is enough. If you want to send the code to any other device or files use End Of Line Constant (Line feed + Carriage return), the Carriage return will not effect the Zebra printer(in my case).

So my VI works great 🙂

Print screen picture added.

I hope that this will help anybody with something.

Marko

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 46
(3,951 Views)

You do realize that you are responding to a thread that was started 5 years ago and the most recent post before yours was almost a year ago.

Anyway, there are better ways to build the label fomrat in your code. I would recommend you look at the Format To String VI. Using a massive concatenate string is not the best way to go.

I have communicated with Zebra printers over all interfaces. this includes parallel, serial, USB, Blue Tooth and network. The actual communication with the printer is very straightforward. The challenging part is defining the label format itself. You can download the latest ZPL manual from www.zebra.com. I tried to attach the manual but it is over the size limit for attachments. Even when it is zipped.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 35 of 46
(3,933 Views)

I now have problems with my own solution.

I think Windows 7 is different. I have changed the driver to a Generic/Text but still can't communicate with a newer Zebra.

Has anyone done this with Windows 7 and USB?

Doug Ferguson

www.southerndaqsolutions.com
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 46
(3,359 Views)

i am using zebra 110XiIII plus with windows 7 environment.

Interface is USB cable.

Please follow the steps:

1) create raw VISA driver using Driver Wizard after get the correct VID & PID from Device Manager

2) install/update the printer driver using the NI generated inf driver

3) Using VISA open and write.vi, send ZPL text command directly to printer

I have tested this and it works. Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 46
(3,263 Views)

sharinganezz (or anyone else that has gotten this to work) - I am using a ZM400 printer and have not had the same luck with getting the procedure you outlined to work on several Windows 7 PC's. XP seems to work OK.

I'm wondering if there is a difference in either the version of Measurement and Automation eXplorer or the NI-VISA Driver Wizard utility. I am using MAX version 5.01.0f0. I'm not sure how to tell what version of NI-VISA Wizard Driver software I have, but some of the screenshots do not match the NI white paper (http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4478/en) on how to create the driver. My version has a firewire option in addition to PCI/PCX and USB in Figure 1 of the white paper. I also do not see the screenshots shown in Figures 2 and 4 (after selecting USB bus it jumps right to Figure 5).

I appreciate any insight you can provide. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 46
(3,130 Views)

raydur, how you configure labview to trigger zebra printer for printing?

how is the protocol/control system?

are you using the exact way as i was?

create a raw USB driver through NI-VISA driver wizard utility?

can you share what are the steps that you have taken?

i've checked on ZM400, it seems compatible to win7.

Since you are using only VISA to control the printer, this doesnt seems to be Measurement Automation Explorer (MAX) problem.

If you are able to create a raw USB driver (with the correct VID and PID), you should able to get the things work very soon.

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 46
(3,113 Views)

Hi there

I am trying to communicate to ZM400 via LPT but cannot get the port to open..Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 46
(3,085 Views)