From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone used LabView to Control Bruel and Kjaer Pulse Sound Intensity Module?

We have a B&K Pulse system with the sound intensity module. I need to control the sound instensity portion with LabView because I need to control some stepper motors also. I did get some code from B&K written in LabView but it controls the regular pulse analzers. I have it working to the point it will open the project and I can get it to take a measurement. But I need it to tell me when the measurement is finished so I can command my motors to move. Has anyone worked with the B&K pulse software before?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,541 Views)
Hi,

How are you communicationg with your pulse system? do you have a hardware or a software "sound intensity module"; some hardware modules provide a separate RS-422 port to control them, you could use the VISA VIs to open the 422 connection.

Please give us as much details as possible to help you further.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
N.I.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,541 Views)
The "sound intensity module" is a software module. I should have specified. I was given some LabView code to run the B&K pulse system but only for the general analyzers. It uses active x controls but I cannot figure out which ones tell me exactly what is happening with the "sound intesity module" or software controls. The person B&K had that wrote the original LabView code no longer works there and they do not have anyone else that can work on it. I'll attach what I have but it isn't much help without the actual "pulse" system and software. It should give you an idea what I'm trying to work with. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,541 Views)
Hi,

You are right, without the B&K software there is not much I can load. However this is usefull information. The VIs that you have are a wraper for the calls to the ActiveX pulse control. If those VIs do not provide the functionality for the Intensity Module there are 2 options:

+The developer did not develop VIs for the module

+The Pulse ActiveX control does not exposes the functionality of the Intensity Module.

To find this out, you can create a new VI that opens a reference to the Pulse ActiveX object and start looking for some property that gives you a reference to the Sound Intensity Module, or a a function that allows you to run any methods from the module. There are a bunch of examples that ship with LabVIEW on calling Ac
tiveX modules.

You can also try to get the documentation for the ActiveX interface for Pulse to find out whether the Module is exported or not.

There is also the option to use Native LabVIEW functions for the Sound Intensuty measurements; the Sound and Vibration Toolset can take sound intensity measurements that are compliant with industry standards.

Let me know how this goes.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,541 Views)
It might be helpful to check the list of NI Alliance Member integrators (ni.com/alliance) and see if any of them list particular experience with acoustic systems.

I know of one integrator, Listen, Inc. (www.listeninc.com) who isn't an Alliance member but has a lot of experience with LabVIEW and B&K hardware and might have some familiarity with the problem you're running into.

Regards,
John
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,541 Views)

Bruel and Kjaer PULSE uses VBA (visual basic for applications) similar to Excel. If LabView does that, then there is hope there.

If I were you, I would use AutoHotKey. This mouse macro language can control EVERYTHING since it "pushes the buttons" that

you want.

Just shout and I can give you some tips on how to get started with AutoHotKey. I use it all the time for communicating OVER different

programs.      c h r i s k @ b e l l . c o . z a

Does anyone know a user group for:    Bruel and Kjaer PULSE users?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,397 Views)

hi I am using same software can u just tell me how do I implement the pulse program in labview to get excel data file let me know please and thank you  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,353 Views)