LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone used LabVIEW to read Exif information from an image file?

I'm wanting to read the Exif data (time stamp, camera model, location, etc) from a jpeg file from a digital camera using LabView.  I'm wanting to do custom organising and searching of a lot of image files.  Has anyone done this?  Thanks in advance,                         Philip

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(9,059 Views)

Hi Phillip,

EXIF standard is currently not supported by native LabVIEW functions or the IMAQ Vision library. You could probably use another API that could read EXIF tags, create a DLL and call that DLL in LabVIEW. I don't know if there is any development currently in this direction but I was able to find some forums posts that could help you out:

readout exif tag - image number
jpeg header info

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(9,055 Views)
I created one. Drop me a line. I'll send a beta version. George Zou gtoolbox@hotmail.com
George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(9,002 Views)

You can call a .NET function from LabVIEW to do it, but it seems to take ages. I believe it is opening the entire file rather than just reading the EXIF data.

I've attached a vi I wrote to do this.

I wanted to quickly rename hundreds of photos based on the EXIF "DateTimeOriginal" data (property ID 36867).

It was way too slow using the .NET function so I wrote a dodgy vi to extract just the "time taken" info using purely LabVIEW.

I attached that too but it's very crude and I didn't do alot commenting. May not work for all image types.

Feel free to have a look/play with it but don't expect too much. It's fast though!

Got info from here http://park2.wakwak.com/~tsuruzoh/Computer/Digicams/exif-e.html

And here http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF

Message Edited by Troy K on 03-11-2009 01:51 PM
Message Edited by Troy K on 03-11-2009 01:52 PM
Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
Message 4 of 14
(8,911 Views)
can you save the files as LV8.2 version? thanks
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(8,791 Views)

Sorry to take so long to reply, been on holidays.

Here ya go...

Message Edited by Troy K on 04-15-2009 09:00 AM
Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
Message 6 of 14
(8,744 Views)

Hi Guys,

I inspired myself from the VIs you made to get the DateTimeOriginal TimeStamp using the Dll.

As it gets only this tag it is pretty fast.

Can be easily changed to get an other tag is needed.

Cordialement,

Micaël DA SILVA
Download All
Message 7 of 14
(6,660 Views)

Hi TroyK,

Thank you so much for sharing your VIs with the community. I try to establish a tool based on LV which would allow me, to write (and read in some cases) the GPS data of the exif data in jpg, dng and raw files. Although I had a good start with our example (extract time taken exif manually.vi), I struggle to modify your example so it would work for the GPS values. Can you help me? I miss plenty of knowledge in that field 😞

Any help is appreciated,

Urs

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,829 Views)

Hmmm, it was almost 10 years ago that I posted that code.

I haven't looked at it since.

I'd say your best option would be to start with the dotNET example in message 7 of this thread posted by Micaël DA SILVA in 2015.

Message 9 of 14
(4,817 Views)

thanks, but my application is running on Mac, so dotNet is not an option.

I'm pretty sure one could solve it with labview native only, but my knowledge is just not enough for that. I'll just keep on trying 😉

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,791 Views)