From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware and program recommendations

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on how to achieve logging and trending the data produced by multiple sensors I have in my lab. I would like to see a trend and log it in an excel file but need help in how to get started with collecting the data. The attached excel file has the list of the sensors I have and the communication protocol they use. However, I don't know what to connect them to so that they can interface with LabView and I can use them in a VI to trend and log the data.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(834 Views)

Hi nier,

@cluelessnier wrote:

I am looking for some advice on how to

1. achieve logging
  2. trending the data produced by multiple sensors
  3. I would like to see a trend and log it in an excel file
  4. need help in how to get started with collecting the data. 
  5. I don't know what to connect them to so that they can interface with LabView

1. for logging you can use all of those file functions…

2. What exactly is "trending" for you? Just plotting current data in graphs - or fitting to predict a future trend?

3. Do you also want to log that "trend" in your log files?

4. LabVIEW comes with a huge example library to get you started

5a. You will need a lot of COM ports to connect all those Fluke devices.

5b. Do you really need the additional information from those HART signals or do you need just the main 4-20mA signal? NI sells DAQ devices able to measure 4-20mA current signals, but for HART I usually use 3rd party devices to convert from HART to 3/4 industrial current/voltage signals…

5c. Connect those "multiple" devices to the same ethernet as your computer to be able to communicate with them. There are several Modbus libraries available for LabVIEW…

Your question is rather generic, so I just answered very generic…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(769 Views)

Hey, thanks for the reply.

2. Trending meaning put the collected data on a graph.

3. I want to record the collected data with the appropriate timestamps in an excel file preferably.

5. Will a COM to USB cable work with a bunch of USB hubs attached to the PC?

5b. HART is preferred to allow me to not have to calibrate the device every time.

Again thank you so much for the help. At least I can get started with laying the wiring from the transmitters.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(759 Views)