LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hameg HM8118 LCR Meter Control

Hello! Can it be possible to control the frequency of LCR Meter from LabVIEW? I'm using  HM8118 lCR meter and have to adjust the frequency programmatically. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,786 Views)

Hi Chisti,

@Chishti wrote:

Hello! Can it be possible to control the frequency of LCR Meter from LabVIEW?

Yes.

All the information you need can be found in the manual of that device

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,767 Views)

Yes, I read the manual before but there is nothing available to control the frequency of LCR Meter in the command section.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,731 Views)

Hi Chishti,

@Chishti wrote:

Yes, I read the manual before but there is nothing available to control the frequency of LCR Meter in the command section.

That's funny!

When I open the linked manual (see my previous post) then there is a full chapter on "Command reference", with a list of "Measurement setup commands" including a "FREQ(?)" command…

Still the same advice: read the manual as it contains all the information you asked for!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,682 Views)

Thanks! But when I give the frequency string. It doesn't change the frequency of LCR Meter. I've attached the VI 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,564 Views)

Hi Chishti,

@Chishti wrote:

Thanks! But when I give the frequency string. It doesn't change the frequency of LCR Meter. I've attached the VI 

No, you did not attach your VI. All we got are two images: we cannot edit or debug images with LabVIEW…

On those images:

Why do you close the COM port immediatly after writing a command to the output buffer? Are you sure the COM port driver had a chance to send that command before the communication is stopped?

What does the manual say about usage of TermChars? Most often commands are expected to end with a TermChar…

Are the settings of the COM port as expected by the device? (Again: what does the manual say?)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,524 Views)

I gave a delay of 500 ms. In the manual. The command ends with " Each remote command ends with CR (carriage
return) or CR+LF (carriage return + line feed) (no individual LF). "

The settings are according to the COM port as I can read the measurements. 

It is also mentioned in the manual that the REMOTE/LOCAL key is illuminated if communication
to the instrument has been established via an interface. I'm attaching the VI which I build to write. Please check and amend it if necessary. I'll be so grateful to you 

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,487 Views)

Hi Chishti,

so you can read measurements from the Hameg device?

But it doesn't react on sending a command?

Which command did you try? In your VI you are sending "*IDN?\r" (in \-code display): is this command even supported by your Hameg?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,482 Views)

Yes, it does support. It gives returns the ID string. Even if I send the "FREQ 200\R" commands. It doesn't react. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,480 Views)