LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUGE bug on "Get section names" (Configuration file vi)

Rolf,

i know that it works nicely in LV 2014, but haven't run an application using that with LV 2015 yet. So i thought it was a good time to verify.

However, you are correct that the OP has many things in common with this:

troll.PNG

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 21 of 31
(2,343 Views)

@Ironman_ wrote:

maybe you are paid by the number of daily posts, with bonus at 5k, 10k, etc...

Smiley Very Happy Oh you were serious?  Let me laugh harder Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy The vast majority of us are volunteers, not affiliated with NI other than we use their tools.

@Ironman_ wrote:

THIS IS THE QUALITY OF NATIONAL INSTRUMENT CODER AND SOFTWARE LIBRARIES. this is the second time that NI shipped a BUGGED vi in LV2015 vs 2014 (the other case is the open pdf with browser url)

Oh I highly doubt NI only has only two bugs in their software.  I don't have any numbers on this but I'd guess something like a couple hundred CARs are assigned to any version of LabVIEW, and those are just the ones that are found.

That being said I think abusing the use of a function and then complaining when it works as documented is a bit of a stretch when it comes to a bug.  No where in the help of that function does it mention you can open a PDF using it, it specifically states it is used for opening HTML or displaying a URL.  And you have yet to prove that this INI bug at all.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 31
(2,307 Views)

Ironman,

I am still interested in a copy of the ini file that brought this issue to the fore.

I have often wanted to sneak some documentation into a ini file like I was able to do in the "old days" using a semicolon to deliniate the comments. While I can still put comments in, they persist right up unitl the file is re-written and then they disapear into the bit bucket.

If you found a file format that lets me sneak in documentaion, I would benefit from your sharing.

Still curious,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 31
(2,294 Views)

"I WILL COME TO YOUR HOUSE MAN" Smiley Frustrated  Why is anyone even considering helping this guy after a personal threat to an NI employee?    I'm certainly not very politically correct on forums but this type of hostile behavior is over the line.   He should be banned immediately, not catered to.

OP:  If you're too clumsy to swing a hammer and smash your thumb don't blame the hammer, learn how to use it!

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 24 of 31
(2,188 Views)

@NIquist wrote:

"I WILL COME TO YOUR HOUSE MAN" Smiley Frustrated  Why is anyone even considering helping this guy after a personal threat to an NI employee?  I'm certainly not very politically correct on forums but this type of hostile behavior is over the line.

I don't want to derail the topic any further -- but yes, you are correct. This type of behavior is unacceptable on the forums and stated as such in the NI Discussion Forums User Guidelines. Whether it's meant as a "joke" or just a poor choice of venting, it is disrespectful and serves no purpose here.

We appreciate the mostly constructive tone of the replies in this topic so far. Thank you for keeping it on topic going forward.

~~~~~~~~~
Message 25 of 31
(2,103 Views)

I don't observe that behavior.  When I write to a config file, the comments remain intact.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 31
(2,015 Views)
This is not exactly what the OP reports as a bug, but... The help files says "Use an open bracket for the first non-white space character". If you put a space before the bracket, the results from the GetSectionNames.vi include the left bracket in the name (INI file enclosed). Is this expected behavior? (LabVIEW 15.0f2)
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 31
(1,966 Views)

I have the same problem and i think the problem this. When i change the encoding in Notpad++ to ANSI i can read all sections. If the encoding is set to UTH-8-BOM function mist the first section.

You can find attached my not working *.ini file.

Regards

Hristo

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 31
(1,114 Views)

You forgot to attach your ini file.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 31
(1,092 Views)

Unfortunately the original file is gone, but i think i successfully repeat the error. Sins a wild i am using 32bit version of LabView 2014.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 31
(1,073 Views)