LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HS Can message that has one byte that is a rolling counter with Labview

I am trying to figure out how to implement a HS Can message that has one byte that is a rolling counter using labview and any NI HS Can hardware. I am trying to simulate a vehicle HS Can bus and some of the signals are counters that count up to a number then start over. Say the message is sent every 5ms.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,109 Views)

What have you tried so far?

Are you using NI-XNET or NI-CAN?

One basic way to do this is to just set up a loop and transmit each message on demand.  Just keep updating the Data field in the frame.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,106 Views)

Have you looked at the CAN examples that ship with LabVIEW?  Which CAN hardware do you plan to use?  It makes a difference - newer PCI boards support NI-XNET; older boards and USB devices use the older NI-CAN interface.  In either case it's pretty simple both to send a CAN message and to increment a value every 5 ms (although you may not achieve perfect 5ms timing on Windows).  If you provide your code and an explanation of the the problem or error you've encountered, it will be easier to help you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,105 Views)

I am using the latest National Hs Can hardware and XNET/Labview. Everyone has pretty much answered my question I think. National still does not have a the ability to create real time HS Can messages or smart messages, like rolling counters and such that are hardware controlled or the control is not affected by windows timing. I am trying to not use Vector because of cost but I guess you get what you pay for. I have implemented network management with National instruments HS Can in the past with Labview and it worked pretty good but test systems need to be flawless and predictable. I guess I am still in the hunt for a 100% relieable National solution. Onboard micro controlled HS Can messaging that is not affected by Windows.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,090 Views)

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,088 Views)

@DHAGG wrote:

I am using the latest National Hs Can hardware and XNET/Labview. Everyone has pretty much answered my question I think. National still does not have a the ability to create real time HS Can messages or smart messages, like rolling counters and such that are hardware controlled or the control is not affected by windows timing. I am trying to not use Vector because of cost but I guess you get what you pay for. I have implemented network management with National instruments HS Can in the past with Labview and it worked pretty good but test systems need to be flawless and predictable. I guess I am still in the hunt for a 100% relieable National solution. Onboard micro controlled HS Can messaging that is not affected by Windows.

The highlighted statement is not correct.

The NI 8513 has hardware timed messages and you can queue up Frames to simulate a rolling counter.

Another alternative would be to use an RT system.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,082 Views)

That is what I was looking for, confirmation with out doing a lot of experimentation that NI8513 is hardware queued. I was having trouble understanding if the queues were onboard or computer memory queues. I will try setting up the queues hopefully today.

Thanks. I will re-read some of the documentation and start experimenting.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,073 Views)