LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP NEEDED ASAP 'Error -1967362038' while trying to create bound variables for Modbus Communication

Hello,

I am a student currently employed by my college, which has purchased both the 2012 academic site license, and the 2014 academic site license for Labview which include the Real-Time module, as well as the DSC module,etc. I am currently trying to communicate with a Do-More H2 series PLC via Modbus, but run into an unknown error when trying to create bound variables. Our Do-More PLC is connected to our network via ethernet switch, and I can ping the IP address and get a response, so I know that there is communication to the PC. I have also tried using the SimplyModbus tester and can verify that values read properly, giving me the impression that it's not a hardware issue.

The error occurs while trying to set up variables within labview. I am Currently working on the 2012 version, however the same error occurs in the 2013 SP1 version as well. The NI License Manager licenses folder has been renamed to 'licenses_old' in order to get licensing from our server rather than the local machine. I'll run through the steps that cause the error:

1. Create a blank new project in Labview

2. Right click on 'My Computer' and add a new Modbus I/O server

3. Select Modbus Ethernet, enter the appropriate IP address, and hit OK to create the library

4. Right click on 'Modbus1' under the new library, and select 'Create Bound Variables'

5. Under 'Browse Source' I can hit the drop down boxes Project: Untitled Project 1 > My Computer > Untitled Library 1, but when I select the drop down box for Modbus1, The following error message appears:

"Error -1967362038 occurred at

MND_offlineBrowse.vi 

Possible reason(s):

IAK_SHARED: (Hex 0x8ABC700A) Not found."

The Shared Variable Engine started properly, and has been reset with no change to the error.

I've also tried to run the Modbus Simulator example VI, rather than connect to the PLC, however the simulator can't run due to errors. The error that shows up is "NI_DSC.lvlib, The Labview DSC Module Support Library is expired or invalidly licensed." I don't know why it wouldn't be licensed, as the academic site license comes with the DSC Module. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,261 Views)

Can anybody help out? Any information at all would be beneficial. This is very urgent. My entire work project depends on connecting this PLC to Labview.

Thank you to whoever can provide any amount of information.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,229 Views)

Wingchangwow,

First can you open up NI License Manager and expand LabVIEW 2014 to make sure that the Development System as well as the RT and DSC Module are all activated properly.  At first glance, the root of the issue seems to be licensing so we should make sure we know what License Manager says you have.

If time is a big constraint here, you can also try the Example ModbusLibrary.lvproj which is a very simple example of how to use the Modbus API that comes with both the DSC and RT Module. Even if this is not the end solution, it might get you up and running for now while you figure out what is happening with licensing.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 3 of 5
(3,194 Views)

@wingchangwow wrote:
The NI License Manager licenses folder has been renamed to 'licenses_old' in order to get licensing from our server rather than the local machine.

I don't know why it wouldn't be licensed, as the academic site license comes with the DSC Module. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It sounds like you've intentionally made a point to alter the licensing mechanism.  Why would you be surprised if this had side effects?  The site license should include the DSC module.  But, I'd take Jacobson's advice and see what the license manager sees.  This is how your computer sees the license.  This is more important for your situation than what it SHOULD show.  If it's showing wrong, you'll want to address that before working on anything else.

Message 4 of 5
(3,183 Views)

Thanks guys for the help,

I managed to figure out the problem on my own, it was in fact a licensing issue, and everything has activated fully and properly now!

What had happened was that my network administrator had told me to rename the licensing folder to go through the server instead of search locally, and to overide the 7 day free trial warning that appeared. I changed the folder back to the original name and activated the modules in NI License Manager under my own user account. Seems really stupid now that I think of it, and I don't really understand why he had me trying all these random other solutions. At least everything's working now!

Thank you all for your input!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,153 Views)