From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graph - How to keep "Legend:Number of Rows Property" always horizontal?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to build a XY Graph with multiple plots (Fig. 1).

If the graph have 2 plots and I change the property "Legend:Number of Rows Property" to 3 or more, the legend grows in the horizontal (Fig. 2 - right behavior)

But if the plots goes to 1, then goes to 2 or more, the legend grows in the vertical (Fig. 3 - wrong behavior)

How can I change the "Legend:Number of Rows Property" and make the legend be always horizontal?

Fig. 1 - Original graphFig. 1 - Original graph

Fig. 2 - When the number of rows goes to 3 or more, the legend grows horizontally (right behavior)Fig. 2 - When the number of rows goes to 3 or more, the legend grows horizontally (right behavior)

Fig. 3 - If the number of rows goes to 1, then the legend increment vertically (wrong behavior)Fig. 3 - If the number of rows goes to 1, then the legend increment vertically (wrong behavior)

Fig. 4 - VI snippetFig. 4 - VI snippet

Obs.: The number of plots can change with the application running, so I need to programmatically make the "rows" in the legend increment horizontally

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,992 Views)

Sorry, I couldn't find a solution.

I did discover that inside the legend is an array; and it has properties of "Number of Rows" and "Number of Columns".

I could manipulate the number of columns down to 1, then back up and get the desired effect; however I could not find any way to programmatially get access to that array.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 2 of 10
(1,970 Views)

It seems NI did not anticipate this use case.

They could have provided another property like "Legend:Number of Columns", but they didn't...

I found a way to create a static reference to the legend array via scripting, then use this reference in the VI to manipulate the number of columns:

XY Graph.png

The project also contains the script to re-create the legend reference:

Script Create Plot Legend Reference.png

Finally, I tested in an executable and it works.

Message 3 of 10
(1,948 Views)

Here is a more generic thingy.

Message 4 of 10
(1,888 Views)

And after all that, it turns out that all you really have to do is right-click on the legend and select: Create → Property Node.

Message 5 of 10
(1,850 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

And after all that, it turns out that all you really have to do is right-click on the legend and select: Create → Property Node.

I don't have the menu item "Create" when right-clicking on the legend, do you have a plugin for that ?

Message 6 of 10
(1,820 Views)
Solution
Accepted by mthheitor

@raphschru wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

I don't have the menu item "Create" when right-clicking on the legend, do you have a plugin for that ?

Add this line to labview.ini:

AdvancedPlotLegendMenu="True"

Message 7 of 10
(1,757 Views)

Slightly improved version.

Message 8 of 10
(1,748 Views)

Thanks everyone for posting in this topic. All answers were new learning to me

@paul_cardinale

• Add AdvancedPlotLegendMenu="True" to labview.ini works like a charm. Thank you

• Your Create Reference-Prop_Node-Invk_Node of Sub-Objects in a Control.vi is great. The 1st version was a little confused, but the 2nd is fantastic. New options for our LabVIEW "toolbox" 🙂

@raphschru

• Your scripting .vi is cool, but I think @paul_cardinale idea is more simple. I tried to run your vi files and couldn't (version =/= 2020).

I saw the .png files in the .zip file, but can you post the .vi files in LabVIEW 2012? (this way more users can use your idea in a easier way)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,683 Views)

My scripting VI was a proof of concept for creating a reference to a normally not-accessible subcontrol.

Then paul_cardinale turned it into a more usable tool.

Now you can access almost any sub-part of a composite control like the plot/scale/cursor legends of a Graph control, the browse button of a Path control, the button of a Timestamp control, etc...

As for the ini key, it is simpler but limited to the plot legend and the scale legend of Graph controls.

Message 10 of 10
(1,623 Views)