LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graph Grid Display Glitch in Logarithmic Mapping for Precision of 6

Bill,

I would disagree with you on one part. The developer has some responsibility to manage the size of the objects involved. But the excess of vertical grid lines at the right decade in the original post is clearly a bug. NI Managed to get the left decade correct, so it is not as though they do not know how to do the calculations.

I hope that NI will put some resources into fixing the numerous problems and usability issues which have been identified in the graphs. I suspect that many of the problems interact and that it will need to be addressed comprehensively. A piecemeal fix would probably just break something else. 

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(354 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

Bill,

NI Managed to get the left decade correct, so it is not as though they do not know how to do the calculations.

I'm not sure I would consider the left decade correct either. It looks more natural but since it is only one decade while the intervals in the middle are two decades, the interval between the minor grid lines have a different meaning in the left decade than they have in the middle double decades. As such it is at least misleading when interpolating datapoints visually.

The main problem seems to come from the fact that the graph has a preference for even exponents when it is not able to display every decade interval anymore. I'm sure there is a good reason such as that it is considered good practice to display 10^0 when that happens to be in the visible range.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(344 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

Bill,

I would disagree with you on one part. The developer has some responsibility to manage the size of the objects involved. But the excess of vertical grid lines at the right decade in the original post is clearly a bug. NI Managed to get the left decade correct, so it is not as though they do not know how to do the calculations.

I hope that NI will put some resources into fixing the numerous problems and usability issues which have been identified in the graphs. I suspect that many of the problems interact and that it will need to be addressed comprehensively. A piecemeal fix would probably just break something else. 

Lynn

I see.  I looked into the issue and I see it's more complicated than just a simple rendering issue.  I played around with various ways of displaying the markers and stuff and it didn't really make a difference.  You're right.  I agree with you now.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(334 Views)