LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glyphs no longer appear under glyphs tab in icon editor

Solved!
Go to solution

LV is not installed on a network drive nor is my LV datafolder on the network.  The folder is not write protected.

I unzipped both zip files to the data folder and it did not work.  I still see no glyphs in the icon editor.  One more thing I forgot to mention, my "layers" tab is gone as well and has been since this problem arose.  Any other thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 30
(2,568 Views)

The layers tab can be disabled (hide/show).

Menubar -> Layers -> Show Layers Page (Ctrl L)

Can you pls go back to the LabVIEW Data folder and check if there is a .bin file in LabVIEW Data\Glyphs.

What version of LabVIEW (+ patch version) is used?

Which OS is installed?

Thanks,

T

Message 12 of 30
(2,558 Views)

There are two .bin files in the glyphs folder, Glyphs 9.0 and Glyphs 10.0.  It is LV 2010 that I am having issues with.  The icon editor works for LV 2009.  I am using Win XP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 30
(2,550 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MoReese

I believe the issue is resolved.  Thanks to ThSa for his suggestion.  I wasn't able to sync with ni.com icon library automatically through the icon editor, but was able to do it manually by downloading the .zip and xml files for the icon library.  After the manual sync, the icon editor know displays all the glyphs.

What didn't work:

Repairing LV 2010

auto sync with ni.com through icon editor

copying the default icon library and templates to the LV data folder

By the way, the error code I was getting when I tried the auto sync was "Error Code 7 occurred at ResolveURLbyUsingInfoCode.vi" along with some possible reasons.  I believe Error code 7 is "file not found."  If anyone has any suggestions regarding the potentially related issue, it would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who gave their input.

Reese

Message 14 of 30
(2,532 Views)

In case anyone is still around... I just caused a suspiciously similar invisible glyphs problem in 2010 by saving a 32x32 .png directly into the dir of my own glyphs. When I brought up the icon editor all glyphs were invisible, but I could see their file names as usual when I floated over the blank pane. I could even place them blind into the icon where I still could not see them but their names appeared in new layers. Seems like a weakness in 2010 that the editor would get so upset. Removing the new .png file was no help. Multiple restarts of LV, no help. Restart of XP -- you never know -- no help.

But here's the answer in this case: I use my Mac to run XP under Parallels, and have done so for years. Works great. The dumb thing I did earlier today was save a 32x32 .png file directly from PhotoShop on the OS X side into the glyph dir on the XP side. Problem is that since OS X's HFS+ file system has metadata that Windows cannot deal with, the metadata is put into its own file by OS X. Usually this is just a junk file, a nuisance but no more. This time, however, bingo.png on the OS X side became bingo.png plus ._bingo.png (not really a .png at all) and this latter file made the glyph system snowblind. And of course deleting bingo.png did not help. When I deleted ._bingo.png did the editor feel better.

There's a lesson here somewhere.

Message 15 of 30
(2,308 Views)

Thanks for sharing.  In my case, I did create an icon, but I created it inside the icon editor.  I don't think this would have caused a problem, and at the time, did not think it was the root cause of my issue.  But after you mentioned it, it could have been.  I also lost the visibility of the icons on my laptop as well just last week.  Downloading the icon library fixed the issue.  I have never been able to do this from the icon editor, but manually from NIs website.

There seems to be a problem with the syncing feature in the icon editror.  Does this even work?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 30
(2,303 Views)

My first Kudo. I think I'll frame it, hang it by the cash register.

My impression is that LV does not handle corrupt glyph .png's well. Since glyphs are a mature feature, file checking on load should by now be in place so that a sensible error report can be made, naming names. 

For now, the corrupt file is probably the one with the last or next to last creation date. Else hide half the glyphs and see if things work, and so on, binary search-wise.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 30
(2,292 Views)

@evan1138 wrote:

My first Kudo. I think I'll frame it, hang it by the cash register.

There's another kudo to hank along side the first one.Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 30
(2,286 Views)

I commented on your Idea Exchange post (which I think is actually a bug report).  I'll repeat most of it here for posterity.

The bug is the classic "Feed the Error Cluster into a Shift Register and never do anything about an error" bug. If you dig into the icon editor and find the LoadGraphics.vi (..\resource\plugins\NIIconEditor\Miscellaneous\Graphics\LoadGraphics.vi ) which loads the files you will see what I am talking about. First time a bad file throws an error, game over and remaining Read From PNG (or other) operations simply error out.

Good news is that it is an easy fix. Furthermore, there is a comment on the BD "If we want to check the ghrapic (sic) and the path, this is the right place to do it." 

Message 19 of 30
(2,281 Views)

Thanks for the great info Darin!

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 30
(2,276 Views)