From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get your questions answered by LabVIEW developers.

- What will NI do to make Labview an ever more general purpose programming language?

- will NI extend the capabilities of LV PDA (property nodes, OS control, graphics)?

- support for Symbian?

- expanding the power/tools of labview for the internet (support for other http severs, browser front end, scripting? ). The internet will become ever more crucial for applications. Although client side applications can be done with remote panels, I am not sure whether it has gained much popularity.

It is always exciting to hear about what NI has cooking!

Aart-Jan
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model
Message 41 of 129
(3,491 Views)

Ditto the PDA questions (and how about smartphones while we're at it?).

And what exactly does the PDA module do? Does it convert the LV code into C++ code? Why do you need to install eVC++ to build apps? And why do you need the source code for DLLs if you want to use them in your code?

How much has the LV codebase changed since it started (or how much remains with each new version)?
Are some of the primitives being rewritten\recompiled over time to be more efficient?

How efficient are the primitives? Or, to put it differently, why is it that when you open many VI.lib VIs you find CLF nodes?

How are bugs handled internally? What is the process in NI about identifying, verifing, documenting and fixing bugs?

And how about product suggestions? How do those get processed and decided upon?

I would like to understand better why simple value property read/writes are so slow  (e.g. 400x slower than local variables).

In a recent discussion I made a comparison of the various techniques for demonstration purposes.

How much code baggage is carried along with property nodes and does it really need to be that way for simple value writes within the same VI? Couldn't the compiler notice that the controls are local and substitute a more direct procedure, e.g. as used by local variables?

(Judging from problem codes posted here, value properties seem to be very popular with beginners for some unknown reason.)
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 129
(3,475 Views)

Hi Christian,

I too have observed some intriguing behaviour when using property nodes and wish to discuss these with you.

Is there a thread that discusses in detail about property nodes?

If not, I shall start one. But how will I inform you which thread it is?

Best,

Gurdas

Gurdas Sandhu, Ph.D.
ORISE Research Fellow at US EPA
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 129
(3,471 Views)
Thanks, everyone, for your questions, comments, and suggestions. I'm compiling these now and we are meeting with the developers this week to record our discussion. When it is completed (should be within 2 weeks), I will post a link here for all of you to hear it. We will not be able to answer every question in this thread but will try to address as many as possible while staying on topic. Thanks again for your participation.
J.R. Allen
Message 45 of 129
(3,447 Views)
Hi JR,
I forgot to say previously that this is a great idea, so - This is a great idea. Thanks.

Can you answer scripting related questions (asked through some other channel) or is that off limits?

(3,414 Views)

I Have  a question about the ``Select Signals`` vi, it only allows you to choose between 8 signals, and not add any more.  I need to display 128 signals all coming from one input, and its not enough for me, Do you have any idea how I can modify the select signals icon? or is there another icon I can use?

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 129
(3,439 Views)
I would like to see the performance specs for the tag engine in the DSC module. What were the parameters when it was designed (how fast, how many I/O points?? Also, how about Modbus/tcp for the compact Rio system.
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 129
(3,462 Views)

This is not the right thread for questions about Select Signals.

Select Signals only has 8 signals to pick from until it is run with a larger number of signals.  Just run the VI once with your real data (or a set of simulated signals) that have more than 8 and then reconfigure it.

Hope that this helps,

Bob

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 129
(3,463 Views)
It would be nice if Labview exposed some ?Handles? to windows so that DDE clients and/or servers could "POKE" into them.  I have an application that I'm writing which talks to a server that requires me to "DDE Execute" with a "source|topic!Item" as part of the string and it then "DDE Pokes" the data into that location.  The problem is that since LV doesn't have anything exposed that I can "Poke" into, I actually have to have the data "Poked" into an Excel workbook and then read it from there.  This, of course, necessitates going thru the song-n-dance routine of opening and setting up the Excel workbook with a named range and etc.  I have not come across any work around other than that,but it would be nice if there was one such that LV could handle everything on its own.

Thank you,

Tom Larimer

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 129
(3,388 Views)