From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Text Value from an enum as a variant

Solved!
Go to solution

I want to use a cluster of parameters with which to sent to another application via a DDE link.  The label of each control in the cluster is sent together with the value as text.  Using an array of control references I can get the Label.Text property for each control in the cluster.  The Value is presented as a Variant so I have to convert the data into a string acording to datatype.  I got the datatype from the ClassName property and wired this to a case structure that could convert the data to a string according to type.  This works fine for String (trivial), Digital, and Ring but I cannot work out how to get the string value from a Enum.  I would have thought it would be possible as the String value is part of the data as indicated but the array of Variants indicator.

I would appreciate any help with this.

The attached vi shows what I have got so far.  The Desired output array is a dummy control to show what I want to get from this vi

Ken

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,279 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ken_Naylor

Hi Ken,

see the modified vi please. If this is not enough, please see also the "OpenG" vi´s.

Mike

Message 2 of 8
(6,278 Views)
That's BRILLIANT!! - Thanks.   And so quick
Message 3 of 8
(6,266 Views)

Hi, can I see the solution too? Is the solution for all enums (typedef and not typedef)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,310 Views)

Hi

There was an attachment in the 'Solution' Post from Mike, I don't know where it has gone.  I will have a look to see if I have saved it locally.  It was a long time ago (2008) but you might be lucky.  Without looking at it I cannot determine whether it works for all enums but I don't remember a reason why it wouldn't

Ken

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,305 Views)

Found the file

(LabVIEW 8.5)

Ken

Message 6 of 8
(5,295 Views)

Hello Ken,

it works fine, thank you very much. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos