LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Control label in SubVI

Greetz All,

Is it possible to get the label of a control that is connected to a subvi from within the subvi without creating a control reference and connecting it to the subvi?

I'm trying to make some new general use subVIs, so I don't want to get a reference to the calling VI and get refs to all its controls and search for the label because what it would search for will change from application to application, so I would have a string input for the label to search for anyway.

Thanks
Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,294 Views)
Hi Ed,

I think this would be great, but I doubt it's possible. It's the wires which are connected to the sub-vi connectors, not the controls directly so the assumption that wire=control is often false, and I don't think LV will offer this ability. If I wire a control "number" to a "+1" function and send this to the sub-vi, what should be given as the connected "control"?

Having read your question however, I've been thinking of other ways which may produce the same functionality. Apart from a standardised naming scheme, I can't think of any right now.

I just know this will keep me thinking for a while.

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Message 2 of 7
(3,294 Views)
I realized the "wire=control" issue late yesterday. And even though I figured out how to get the control name using a variant input ternimal, then use either 'Get Variant Attribute' or convert to XML and parse out the label, there's a good chance the label will not be there anymore for one reason or another, or that there never was one because the wire didn't come from a control.

So I've reverted back to just using a serarate string input to get the needed string into the subVI.

Thanks
Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,294 Views)

Hello!

I also want to get label of control connected to my subVI. I have a variant input to the subVI and  I'm was trying use "Get Variant Attribute" but what next?

Thanks

Sakubh

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,816 Views)

I just want label on output my subVI from any kind of connected control. Input is a variant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,790 Views)

I found the solution. I just use OpenG function "Get Data name". 

CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,777 Views)

@sakubh wrote:

I found the solution. I just use OpenG function "Get Data name". 

The OP mentioned in the first post the fact that he wanted to get the control name, from within a subVI, of the calling VI.  In this instance the OpenG funtion won't work.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,769 Views)