Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic icon in Add/Remove Programs list

Solved!
Go to solution

I have these ones provided:

23434i8EAD13DF85095147

You mentioned you see a box with a CD?  The default LabVIEW icon is 23436iB1E8055B9B3BF513 

Maybe the fact that you're not seeing the LabVIEW default is telling?  If it is, I don't know what it's trying to tell us.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 11 of 23
(3,156 Views)

I don't think it's possible to alter the icon as shown in the windows Software Management Control Panel. I don't seem to recall an option to change the icon in the installer build spec.
You can only supply an icon for the Executable build spec, but an installer could install multiple executables with different icons.

What you could do is investigate which installer builder NI is using (I suspect somthing from Microsoft) and alter the installer build to use your custom icon.

I have no experience with this, but you might invalidate the installer by hacking it's files.

I think Tim is missing that you are referring to the Control Panel, uninstall feature.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23
(3,145 Views)

Are we not talking about this list?

23442iB4F184A3861A33D9

The one with the red square is obviously the labview one.

--
Tim Elsey
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23
(3,140 Views)

Hmm, I'm not sure what Add/Remove Programs list Tim is referring to if not the Settings / Control Panel / whatever Windows decides to call it today.

However, your theory that it is not possible is backed up by the fact that I created all three icons that Tim has in his icon file, uninstalled my program, actually remembered to remove the old installer files (the Volume folder created by LabVIEW), rebuilt the executable and installer, reinstalled the program, and I still see generic icon in the list mentioned above.

I'm not interested in trying to hack the LabVIEW installer, although I could definitely see how that might be one solution.  This just isn't that critical of an issue; I was trying to round off some more corners of my program design to give it a more professional appearance is all.

Thanks for your input, Ton.

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(3,138 Views)

Tim,

yes we are talking about that, my bad.

It might depend on the Windows version or LabVIEW version used.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23
(3,137 Views)

Tim, that is exactly the list we are talking about.  How did you get that custom icon in there?!?  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23
(3,133 Views)

For the record I'm running XP SP3 and LabVIEW 8.6.1f1

--
Tim Elsey
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(3,130 Views)

Maybe LabVIEW introduced that feature inbetween 8.5.1 (which I am using) and 8.6.1?  LOL  I'm on the same Windows OS.

In case it has not been clear, my icon is the same one as many applications have in Tim's screenshot, including "IVI Shared Components".

I guess I'll give up until we develop our own custom installer unless someone has another idea to try.  Thanks for all of your efforts and help!  At least I'm more comfortable with the Icon Editor now.  Smiley Happy

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23
(3,120 Views)

Sure is strange..

--
Tim Elsey
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23
(3,114 Views)

Do the Following...

Press the Windows Key + R to open the "Run" Dialog, write "regedit" and hit enter.

Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\[YourProgram]

for example, 7-zip Add/Remove Items properties can be found at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\7-Zip 

Then look for the value DisplayIcon, and change it. If there is no value called DisplayIcon create it and set its value to the path of you icon, you can also use the path to your exe and it will automaticaly use the file icon.

for example:  Example.jpg

I hope this helps

Matheus L. Rocha 

Message 20 of 23
(2,989 Views)