LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating a 50 us 10V Pulse

I am trying to trigger a strobe light using labview 2009. What I need to do is generate a 50us 10V pulse at various frequencies. I am using an E series PCMCIA card and a SC-2345 and I have a SCC-AO10. I am assuming I need to somehow use a counter because trying to do it in a while loop even with a 1ms wait is actually 10ms when viewed on a scope. Any insight on how this should be approached would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,845 Views)

Hi nasu,

Actually software timers are not realtime and there will be some jitter in them.So you can rely on them.Better use the hardware timer(if it is present in your e-series cards) and it will give a perfect timing with the timed while loop..Please check if your card has a timer in built.

Thanks and regards,

srikrishnaNF

Regards,
Srikrishna

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,836 Views)
The card I am using is a 6062E and it does have two 24bit 20MHz counter/timers. I will explore the timed while loop when i get a chance. I have never used one before.
Message 3 of 9
(2,829 Views)

Hi nasu,

Here are a few examples on how to generate a pulse train from a counter output on your card using hardware timing:

Generate a Continuous Digital Pulse Train With Variable Frequency Using Event Structure:

http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-8382

Generate a Continuous Digital Pulse Train With On The Fly Frequency Control:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7B1B0427C39FE33086256CEE00752133?OpenDocument

Generate a Continuous Digital Pulse Train With a Variable Frequency:

http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-3751

Best,

Adam
Academic Product Manager
National Intruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,800 Views)

I don't think the counters are going to give you ten volts.

It looks like the AO can hadnle that.

Do a continuous buffered output using the AO lines.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,792 Views)

How do you do that?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,770 Views)

nasu wrote:

How do you do that?

When I am trying to figure out how to do some type of I/O operation I  have never done, I start with MAX and use the Wizards to create a new task and answer the question to get the task working the way i want.

I then save the task as a name I'll rember.

Then I go to a BD drop a DAQmx task constant and then right-click and choose generate code (config and code).

LV wil then create the sub-VI to configure and do what you configured for that task.

If that will not work then browse the LV help looking for examples, under Hardware Input and output and tryo out any of the examples that look close. I believe the exaple you want is labled something like "Continuous output buffered hardware timed" but i don't have them memorized.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,764 Views)

Wow Ben that was so helpful. But I don't know what MAX is or a BD. How will I ever figure this out.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,753 Views)

MAX: Measurement & Automation Explorer. You should have an icon on your desktop, or at least look in your Start menu under National Instruments.

BD: Block Diagram - where you "write" LabVIEW code.

Richard

Message 9 of 9
(2,747 Views)