LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[General Question] redrawing and updating front panel objects

Hello,

I have several questions on this topic.

1)  Is there a difference between redrawing and updating the front panel? (I assume so, but when a control is updated it will be redrawn at the same time, right?)

2)  Is redrawing = rendering? In the case of decorations I think they need only to be rendered once (if fix/static) and stay in memory so that it is available for the gfx-card...

3)  Are decorations redrawn or updated by LabView with every loop?

4) Is there a way to prevent LabView from redrawing and/or updating front panel objects (like controls, indicators and decorations)?

When I put indicators into case-structures they are only updated when the case in which they are placed is executed but they will be obviously still redrawn.

In another case when I disable visibility of those indicators they will not be redrawn anymore but be updated in the background.

So when I put these indicators into a case-structure and combine it with toggling the visibility I could stop LabView from updating and redrawing them.

Is this correct?

Is there another way to prevent LabView from redrawing single objects? (at best leave them somehow visible)

Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,353 Views)

@Nocturn wrote:

Hello,

I have several questions on this topic.

1)  Is there a difference between redrawing and updating the front panel? (I assume so, but when a control is updated it will be redrawn at the same time, right?)

2)  Is redrawing = rendering? In the case of decorations I think they need only to be rendered once (if fix/static) and stay in memory so that it is available for the gfx-card...

3)  Are decorations redrawn or updated by LabView with every loop?

4) Is there a way to prevent LabView from redrawing and/or updating front panel objects (like controls, indicators and decorations)?

When I put indicators into case-structures they are only updated when the case in which they are placed is executed but they will be obviously still redrawn.

In another case when I disable visibility of those indicators they will not be redrawn anymore but be updated in the background.

So when I put these indicators into a case-structure and combine it with toggling the visibility I could stop LabView from updating and redrawing them.

Is this correct?

Is there another way to prevent LabView from redrawing single objects? (at best leave them somehow visible)

Many thanks in advance!

redraw vs update

Yes threr is a difference. A control is redrawn when LV decides to update the GUI. Look into "syncronous" setting for controls that forces update when value changed. These tags and thesse tags may help out abit.

Q2

Not sure about equality but decoartion may need redrawn if there is overlap of chanable objects.

Q3

i have observed decorations that failed to update on occation so I suspect they are only update when required.

Q4

LV will update the value for a hidden control but will not update its image. Same if the object is ona hidden tab page.

No wawy that I know of to prevent an update of a single object with out going to extremes. The Front pnale property "DeferFPupdate" will inhibit FP updates while true and allow then when set false. I use this when doing a lot fast GUI updates so allow the changes to accumulate and be apllied only once.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 2
(2,347 Views)